Saturday, June 07, 2008

A POWERFUL PART OF OUR SUNDAYS

One of the segments of Memorial Drive's assemblies I view with great anticipation is response time at the invitation. About three out of every four Sundays we find several in need of prayers or requesting to be baptized. Being one of the preachers at this place I can say I don't think it's the sermon which induces the public responses. Rather, I believe it to be a combination of those seeking God's heart and the true connecting to the Memorial body.

Our people really believe two major truths: God cares and prayer makes a difference. No one ever responds alone; one or three or seven may walk down front to sit with them. Some will need support while others come to share a reason for celebration. All sense the partnership from within our wonderfully close family.

Yes, we take a lot of time at the invitation segment. It's an antsy time for some as they've done their stuff and want to get going....but we don't. All ages, various needs, and multiple requests insist we treat each response with diligent attention. While an elder (jokingly known as the UFE [UpFrontElder]) handles the reading of each response, volunteers are already poised to pray with the individuals.

If I were to list the things which make our Sundays extremely special it would be: (1) the Holy Spirit's presence, (2) the music arranged by Shane Coffman, and (3) the freedom with which our members capitalize on the opportunity to ask for prayers. This last one ties the morning together as a result of the influencial and convincing build-up of the first two.

Sunday's coming.....and I can't wait!!!

1 comment:

preacherman said...

Wonderful post yet again.
I love and enjoy reading your blog. It strengthens my faith and relationship with God. Thank you for challenging us to change and grow. I appreciate that about your blog. I have opened my mind over the last year and have seen God do incredible work in my life. God bless you Terry as you serve Christ. May his richest blessings fall on your life in every aspect.
I hope you have a great week!
In Him,
Kinney Mabry
Aka,
Preacherman! :-)