Monday, June 16, 2008

THE PAIN OF BEING A PERSON

Man, life is really hard sometimes. I was talking to one of our elders months ago about the enormous amount of pain our people carry/endure. Sometimes I feel I am collapsing due to air leaving me. Oddly, it is seldom because of personal pain; except it is exactly that. My deepest pain is the pain I see in others.

Recently I did a wedding and among those attending were a couple I had performed a similar ceremony for their child. That marriage ended in divorce. For them to go through similar replay more than tugged at their hearts. My heart grieves for theirs.

On Father’s Day I called John Dobbs at 6:40 a.m. to see that he had a message waiting with thoughts of John Robert. I shared with him I knew John Robert would wish someone would think to tell his dad “Happy Father’s Day” and thank him for being one of the best dad’s. Although I was talking into a recording, it broke my heart at the thought of how painfully John will endure this special day. I did share the words I intended, but I had hoped there would be fewer background tears which forced there way into my words.

Another friend saw me yesterday. She was so hurt over the sudden loss of her best friend’s husband. He had been diagnosed with cancer six weeks earlier and died last week. My friend could hardly speak of the sudden anguish she felt for her dear friend.

There is great pain in being a person. We need to keep such information close to the vest as surely moods and actions are affected. We need tender and compassionate understanding as we move from one day to the next often loaded with a hefty pressure which personal grief can lay upon us. We need help. We need each other.

If today you encounter one too rude or seemingly distant, it just could be they are deeply pained. Too, the same person may be trying to be courteous by simply keeping their pain to themselves. Basically, my friend, don’t forget to root for us. Each needs a crop of cheer to endure the pain we encounter simply because each is a quite susceptible-to-anguish person.

Jesus, give us air to breath. Keep the one set of footprints going.

4 comments:

Jimmy Clare said...

Great post, Terry
It really spoke to me!

JC

Matthew said...

You words are wise, and sadly too true. This world hurts.

Anonymous said...

As Paul "boasts" of his ministry for the Lord... he says, "Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?" (2 Corinthians 11:28-29).

It is a burden that those who minister know too well. But it was also the burden of Christ, was it not? And that must give us strength as it is the burden we are called to bear as well....

Anonymous said...

Terry, I'm behind on my blog reading and catching up. That call meant so much to me. Thank you for being my friend. My broken heart is healing oh so slowly with God's grace.