Thursday, June 19, 2008

AGING RAPIDLY IN ARKANSAS

This has been a rougher trip than anticipated. We drove to Conway yesterday (on my birthday) so I could speak at the University Church of Christ Summer Series. The trip went well, the talk went good, and I felt that everything seemed to be decent and in order.

But I was wrong.

After the evening assembly was over and I met with several very nice people at the church where Dusty preaches, we returned to their house to celebrate my birthday with cake and ice cream. It was to be one of those normal events; you know, lighting of candles, singing of "the song", etc. However, it contained one great surprise.

Crystal baked me a chocolate cake with white icing. However, in looking through her cupboards for a 6 and a 1, she didn't have the 6. Therefore, she presented me with a cake highlighted by the numbers 81. She did have an 8. Great. We celebrated me being 81.

So I did what any man who had aged 20 years in one evening would do. I had my cake and ice cream, breathed from my oxygen tank and went directly to bed. For those who are wondering, I think I'm doing all right. Yes, it has been a shock. But the good news is.....well, I can't exactly recall what I was getting ready to say....but I'm pretty sure it is a "yes".

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Ha! Okay...that was really funny! This is when you say...it's the thought that counts...right???
I hope you had a happy birthday my friend! I love you today!

Tammy said...

Hope you are back to normal age when you get back home...whatever normal is...Love you!

jackie chesnutt said...

You know, I thought you looked really old when you were here at Southside back last fall! I'm so glad you got a pass from the critical care unit to cross the state line.......again!

Happy Birthday, my friend. I love you.