Tuesday, March 11, 2008

THE FAITH OF SOWING SEED

I'm from the farm. Seed sowing is natural to the farmer and to the Christian. The scattering of the seed in the kingdom is tremendously exciting because only faith eyes can consider potential harvest. Face eyes will overlook the opportunity.

Last week I was in a department store looking for a watch. A young lady assisted me and she is one of the most professional, courteous clerks I've encountered in ages. I could not help but notice her kind disposition. Her speech overflowed with confession about how much she loved being in sales at her store. She may have been 22 (?) and could not curb her comments as she was simply happy to have her job. I left impressed....and with a new watch.

I wanted to talk to her about God. I wasn't afraid and I wasn't uneasy. I just couldn't get the conversation to roll my way. I noted her name tag (first name only) and sent her a greeting card with my baseball card (which tells where I work) included. My note simply praised her for being such a superior professional.

Today I was in that store again. As I was about to leave I noticed the jewelry section and was reminded of the clerk. I passed by to see if she was there. Sure enough she was and when she saw me she voiced her extreme gratitude. She told me no customer ever took the time to tell her what a good job she did. She exuded (as is normal with her) great satisfaction in the occasion of the moment. Then she said, "You are a preacher?". There it was! The seed landed. We small-talked and then I quickly moved on not wanting to dominate or abuse this newly founded friendship.

What will happen? Several possibilities loom. We may never speak again. Eight years from now she may hit a crisis and recall my card or at least our positive exchange which could lead her to find a Christian leader for assistance. Truthfully, nothing might result. Yet I believe the Spirit of God is the ultimate soul winner. He will use us individually to team reach. My gut feeling is my brief contact will not be the last step of God into her world.

I have no idea about her. I know nothing of her life. But I read a tremendously wonderful heart. If she is not presently Christ's, I pray that one day she will become so for I believe God has secret treasure buried in her and the church will benefit from it.

3 comments:

Cary said...

Don't know if you know who Dean Trune is (with Impact Ministries International). I had lunch with him one day and after being kind to our obviously stressed waitress, he said to her, in his naturally gentle voice, that he liked to pray for people for 30 days and was there anything he could pray about for her. She seemed to brush it off but about 10 minutes later she came back, very emotional, with an entire list written out. She was very thankful, and I know Dean followed through for her.

Seed planting. If nothing else, it planted powerful seeds in me.

Drew Battistelli said...

thanks for reminding us that we can make impacts in lives daily. sometimes while i'm working sales and smiling and giving it my all, simply because i love it! i forget that people may notice, may ask questions and it may give me an opportunity to plant some seed.

thanks for encouraging and reminding.

jackie chesnutt said...

Terry, I received a letter today from a young lady who visited with a friend two weeks ago. She mentioned she is a Dallas Cowboy fan. I sent her a Troy Aikman card for her desk at work. In her letter, she had many kind things to say about her vist and expressed gratitude for the card. Best of all, of course, is that she intends to return and wants to learn more about Christ. Yep, seed sowing works. Thanks for all your reminders and encouragement to sow!