Monday, January 07, 2008

ONLY A HERO. NOTHING MORE.

My talent just continues to....well, amaze us all. A new marvel of mine arose today and I'm still pondering my powers. I was crossing the parking lot from my car with intent to enter Walgreens. As I was moving along, just a few feet over, a lady was backing her shiny and expensive red car. Beside her was a parked van blocking her from viewing oncoming traffic. There was a pick-up moving at a good clip (he couldn't see the red car backing) and contact was certain. The speed of both made it obvious they would soon reach impact and collisional damage could be assumed.

Being a combination of Zorro, The Lone Ranger, and Quicks Draw McGraw, I began waving my arms for them to stop. In the urgency of the moment I forgot to quit walking and tripped on the curb. Now that was weird. I went sprawling face down across the concrete. It happened so fast I didn't see anything. It wasn't even a blur. It was just sudden, fast, and splat. It's like everything went dark. Weirder yet, it seemed I didn't fall but that the sidewalk rose up to slap me across the head.

Oh sure my hands were scraped, but nothing serious. I could have called 911 or brought in a helicopter, but I felt getting up and bravely continuing my shopping would be the heroic thing to do. I must say I was amazed at how quickly my hands and arms could think as I was really focused on directing traffic. They (quick thinking arms and hands) protected me from the oncoming concrete slab. But do you know what is really amazing? Both drivers saw me fall and slammed on their brakes! Yep! I guess it might be possible that I saved their lives. I rescued them from physical and financial injury.

State Farm can thank me. Both drivers can thank me. I intervened! Z, LR, or Quicks? Oh, it doesn't matter. Now, there won't be an awards ceremony. It won't be necessary. Shucks, it was just all in a day's work of caring for the many anonymous of my community.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, he does work in mysterious ways! LOL!

Theresa said...

and you say MY life is a combination of soap opera and sitcom! :) This was classic!

Wish I could save people with my klutziness, but alas... I'm merely clumsy and not a hero. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow... I'm just a lurker but this story brought me out. Uh... congratulations? :)

Anonymous said...

Your talent is never-ending and ever amazing....

Stoogelover said...

Funny!! I was at a friend's church this past weekend to play banjo at a bluegrass gospel event and another friend who made the trip with me fell down the steps of the stage and landed right at my feet. My first thought was, "Why is Steve in a pile on the ground?" Second thought, "I sure hope he doesn't roll into this guitar!" And only with my third thought did it dawn on me he had fallen and could be hurt. Once we knew he was okay other than some rug burn that looked as if he'd been rooting the carpet, it was hilarious!

Anonymous said...

do you need some cute hero costume????
Billye

Terry Rush said...

Billye,

No, I don't need a costume. With skinned palms and scuffed shoes people stop me at coffee and at the gas station and say, "Hey, aren't you the hero at yesterday's Walgreens?"

The word is out! They recognize me without costume. Oops, gotta pick up this call....it's Leno again....I told him last night I didn't want to appear....but I may have to cave. Fame....urghhhh!

I love you today!

TREY MORGAN said...

I'm with Billye ... you need a cape!

Anonymous said...

how will this affect your baseball ability at team camp? maybe you should get a costume, and let the baseball folks know that a hero lives inside of you........just waiting to appear at the perfect moment - sidewalks will soon become nothing to you!!!!
Seriously, glad you are OK - sorry about the palms.
Also love you today,
Oh - maybe you should resurrect the Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton outfit :)))
Billye

Anonymous said...

It's not always WHAT one does that makes the hero, but HOW one carries out the heroic act. To wave madly, fall grandly and then without hesitation...to simply CONTINUE SHOPPING AT WALGREENS, without waiting for the inevitable recognition, parade, and cash prize (etc.) that would most certainly follow...THIS is what separates the hero from the mere "good citizen" or "boy scout" or run of the mill "do-gooder". Well...that and a cape. And a secret identity. And a cool hideout. All of which you may already have...how would I know? Anyway... Well done, Zorro McGraw Rush Ranger! Well done!

Terry Rush said...

Zorro, McGraw, Rush Ranger!

Ah, certainly strikes the chords of herolistic!

Unknown said...

Since I was watching the Tigers trounce OSU, I missed the 10:00 news! I'm sure you interviewed well.

Tammy said...

No capes! Haven't you watched the Incredibles? Everyone with capes gets sucked into a jet engine or caught on a rocket and hurled into space. So no capes! Now a mask however.....