Sunday, January 13, 2008

LIFE IN THE CHURCH KEEPS GETTING BETTER

I'm dumbfounded. Friday night and Saturday morning we filmed the 100% Natural Evangelism Seminar in Monroe, Louisiana. You may have seen a brief comment from Mike Riley on my last blog. The task was overwhelmingly successful. Wait 'til you see what God has put together to inspire churches to reach out. The film, we hope, will be ready in time for the workshop.

The reason I'm dumbfounded is a result of the team that went with me from Memorial. I needed them. 32 of us chartered a bus. First, I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to go. I always travel by myself, do some fun and amazing stuff, and travel back home once it's completed. Eight on my Advisory Board (helping with the film approach) went along plus a host of other Memorial members.

My Advisory Board gave themselves/poured themselves into this project. While Mindy Willman couldn't travel due to knee surgery she, Lea Anne Ward, Lee Wills, and Tom Ezell assembled a prayer team comprised of some back home to be praying every minute for 24 hours during this project. David Combs, too, is one who can't enjoy Life in Christ enough! He is inspiring to be near as he is so appreciative of the God experience.

Then there're Marcy Martin, Theresa Underwood, Brooke Kasbaum, and Angela Rampey who are now labeled my groupies. These four were in charge of seeing the set design was set up, (tastefully and beautifully) and then disassembled in quick fashion so we could get back on the bus. I was so moved by their enthusiasm to serve....and they simply saw that I had no concerns but to focus on my material to be presented. I'll never get over how charged they were to help make this project live!

I think this effort is possibly the most significant of all the exciting things God has let me do. I've ridden in the family limo with my African-American Flood family as I was adopted by Curt Flood's mom and called to speak at her funeral. To stand on the mound of the Field of Dreams in a Sox uniform and preach at a non-denominational service in Iowa was such a privilege. To see thousands holding my Jack Buck book at Busch Stadium as it had been selected by the St. Louis Cardinals to be given as their gift to the fans on Fan Appreciation Day was beyond imagination. But, to have the opportunity to inspire thousands to let God use their "everydayness" to reach others has to be at the top.

I'll never get over being on a team with one I've so admired as Marcy, or noting the servant heart of Theresa while we filmed. I'll not get over noting the tears in David's eyes while I spoke or of Lee hugging me and repeating in my ear "Thank you soooooo much." I'll never get over catching it that even the camera crew and the film director were visibly moved by the message. I'll never get over this experience. How in the world did I ever get to be me? It's His nature to show us glimpses of His handiwork. Will we be able to stand it in heaven? I'm so blessed to see heaven in those around me. I am dumbfounded at how many times I've done this seminar and, wouldn't you know, the one time we decide to put it on film.......is the best!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

It was very difficult to sit here and not get to go on this trip with you. I was looking forward to my very first trip with Terry Rush. I hope it was not the last! As I was told Friday morning..."I missed the bus" ;o(

On the flip side, it was such an honor to know that YOU and other members were on a journey to touch lives. Not only in the filming, but the lives of everyone this DVD touches. Through their hands, the eyes, their ears and their hearts, I am already amazed at the work that our Father is doing through you....through this project.

You inspire and amaze me all the time! Glad to call you friend!

Just remember...while you were gone....YOU WERE PRAYED FOR!!! ;O)

Love you!

Wes said...

Well, now I want to watch it.

Anonymous said...

I just know it will be a great tool for many years to come!

Keith Roberts said...

Thanks for asking us to be a part of filming the 100% Natural Evangelism seminar! It's the best thing I've seen on the subject in my 32 years as a preacher.

We usually approach evangelism like selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door... keeping up with how many "sales" we make, etc.
But your approach is much more natural and more like the authentic people-reaching we see in Scripture. And it works!

Our folks at the Calhoun church are already asking, "When can we get the video?"
I've been telling them, "See you at Tulsa!"

(I prayed for you the day before and also at the filming. We'll keep it up so the word can spread.)

Unknown said...

I can only imagine the amazing experience I missed! But also thrilled at the successful filming and anticipation of seeing it for myself. You are truly blessed to be surrounded by servant hearts. Love you.