Friday, November 02, 2007

AM I TRYING TO RUN GOD'S SHOW?

The longer I live in God's kingdom the more perplexing the work of the church becomes. I seem to have taken on His job in the name of responsibility. Departmentalizing His nature in an understandable way may find me reducing God to fitting human minds. Big mistake! The mystery of God is due in part because He cannot be confined or contained. Yet, how we like to attempt to surround Him and force Him to come out with His hands up so He can be dissected and analyzed.

I'm afraid I have stepped up to the podium similar to a press conference and spoken for God as if He momentarily stepped down the hall. Has He become dependent upon my talent to inform the poor Bible peasants of His immeasurable love and inexpressible workings? I think not. True, He does use each of us to give testimony to our relationship with Him, but I don't believe He is looking to me for Him to have a good day.

I believe the Bible. However, I'm quite selective at what parts I prefer. Comparatively, it doesn't weigh as much as me so I have shifted with ease into giving it direction. The reverse finds the authority and strength. I will not judge the Word of God. It will judge me.

I believe discipleship is a continual call to park my high horse and dismount. If we think politics is an increasingly bitter mess, religion is in worse condition. Arrogant? Bitter? Nasty? Judgmental? Our laundry hangs out on the line for all of our neighbors to see....and they basically want none of it. God has become dislodged from a great and wonderful civilization in part because guys like me forced Him into exile. Humanity can't afford this misstep.

It's time we were known more for our apologies than our winning arguments. Possibly we might find more doors opening if we walked through them with the people instead of handing out religious tracts at them. Perhaps, just perhaps, we religious leaders have spoken for God so long we have begun to believe our thoughts were His and our ways were His. Could it be that over time we have booted God out of business, but we still use His name over the door?

Anyone interested in parking his or her high horse beside mine?

3 comments:

David U said...

That bay mare you see tied up next to your black stallion is mine.

DU

Anonymous said...

Amen, Terry.
Remind me dear Lord of what I deserve, and take me back to the place where I knew that it wasn't me. Take me back to my knees. Take me back to the tears. Take me back to the first time I felt your mercy.

Anonymous said...

Terry, the many thoughts today are so true in our lives..... my life. My need to be right has left me so wrong..... so hard......... so unholy that I have taken the Holy Spirit....God.... out of the picture. At times I seem to forget God said "Be holy, because I am holy" and I reverse the roles.
Forgive me Lord for not being in surrender to You!.... EES