Tuesday, October 30, 2007

WordPower

Speaking words of encouragement is not a gift. It's a command. Expressing support is not an option. It involves submission. Cheering the world on is not the job of a few. It's to be the tongue, the lingo, of the Christian.

Like anyone, I have always been interested in happiness. However, I was never acquainted with being positive or optimistic until I ran into a man named Jesus. He turned my world incredibly upside down. Even when I was converted and soon rushed off to preaching school, the legalism among us taught me to be mean and suspicious...right in line with my former life. I began preaching as a harsh man....and still have to fight off the demons on occasion.

But Jesus came along much later in my ministry and I began to notice his style...and became intrigued by it. He taught me to believe with nothing in front of my eyes. He showed me acceptance when I felt decayed. Jesus gave me purpose when I was meandering indifferently through the fields of getting by. He lifted my vision. He showed me what faithful words would do to people in the church and out.

I heard him say through Paul to be certain our speech was seasoned that it might give grace to those who hear. Such isn't for the few and the proud. It's for the entire Christian race. We are to speak life into one another. We each need to be cheered on and up. Silence (no comment) is not good enough when His soldiers are battling for their lives on the fields of increasing darkness and destruction. We must become positively, faithfully vocal.

While variations of gifts apply generally to the overall body of Christ, being willing to speak support and hope into our fellow comrades is not an elective. We are called to do it. We are expected to do it. The reason it is so ultimately important is because just as the Creator, we created ones bring good things into existence by our speech. May we become increasingly vocal in raising our voices in support and promotion of one another.

When I really ran into Jesus I found my language had to be transformed. I wasn't speaking curse words, understand. I just wasn't speaking life into people. I left that up to the chatterboxes. WordPower, however, takes no consideration as to whether one has the gift of gab or is fearfully shy. It's a matter of submission to the call of Christ. Don't let unwholesome words come out. Speak life into the ears of so many who are about to give up and give out......Eph. 4:29. We are called into action. May we enjoy the work of giving grace through our raised voices of hope!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Terry Rush for speaking life into all of us readers, and for reminding us to do the same. How many of us want to tell God that is too difficult? But that person, I just don't think they deserve kind words. They were unkind to me. But Jesus has a different approach. He tells us to love our enemies. May God richly bless your life today as you go along making others smile b/c of what you say and how you say it.

Theresa said...

Oh, my friend! I needed to hear those words today. Thanks for encouraging me by talking about encouragement. ;)

Love you today!

Anonymous said...

I need this today like you will never know.
Love you,
Billye

Anonymous said...

Oh dear friend - how God works! I am bogged down trodding through Dante's Inferno with my students so your reminder of the abundant life is much in-joyed! Keep on keepin on

Unknown said...

We've been challenged at our church to practice the "one another" scriptures (care for one another, serve one another, love one another, encourage one another etc.) every day in November. Starting tomorrow, I'll practice at least one "one another" scripture on at least one person in our congregation. What an awesome challenge, and what a different congregation we will be by November 30th! It's bound to carry over into our secular lives as well. Very exciting.