Saturday, October 20, 2007

I'M SPEAKING AT A YOUTH RALLY!

Dusty wrote about it on his blog, so I know it's okay to say it out loud. I am speaking at the Discover Youth Rally in Monroe, Louisiana next weekend. Really, I'm just a fill-in which explains a few things. Dusty and Walling were scheduled but Jeff backed out. I'm 60 years old! I haven't spoken at a youth rally since Cabbage Patch days.

I was very reluctant to "fill-in" for Walling. I mean that's sort of insulting to the kids. However, I am pumped about stuff God has given me. I really look forward to seeing what He has to say through us and what He does. It will be fun to experience A Cappella, Watershed, and Unbound.

It will be extremely privileging to work with Dusty. When the boys were in grade school I'd take them over to the building and have them preach to me. We'd go over how to read the text, how to illustrate, and how to apply God's Word. It was fun then and it'll be fun this weekend.

If you could be me, what would you want to say at a youth rally?

4 comments:

Lee Keele said...

Terry, I think I would remind the kids that no matter who they are, what they've done or thought about doing...no matter where they've been or where there about to go...No matter who they hang with or who they're heckled by...whether they live in a great family or one they wish they could escape that our GOD, who is a fantastic God - loves them beyond what they can feel, experience or even imagine.

Tim said...

amen to what Lee said... my teenagers need to know that for sure... also, I would challenge them (probably a pretty 'churched' group) that true Christianity is more than attending all the right events and singing all the right songs; and that when they truly digest the unfathomable gift of Salvation given to them by their Awesome God, they will have no choice but to OUTFLOW to those around them with selfless and random acts of kindness and service... God Bless!

Anonymous said...

"To always remember who they are, whose they are, and where they are going." Dan, the minister from Southern Hills C of C, always said that and it has always stuck with me.

Anonymous said...

And we in Monroe are overjoyed you will be able to join us!

My wife and I enjoyed your gifts at last year's Stream (remember having your picture taken with Flat Stanley?), and are really looking forward to seeing you again.

Just speak the truth to the kids. We have been praying so hard for this rally that you CAN'T go wrong!