Tuesday, October 16, 2007

ARE WE OUT OF OUR EVER-LOVIN' MINDS?

I've been working on a dream for over twenty years. What could I do to bring my St. Louis Cardinal connection to Tulsa? When Cardinal broadcaster, Jack Buck, passed away five years ago another huge door of opportunity opened our way. I could see 2/3 of a puzzle....but not the other 1/3. Then Memorial became highly involved in adopting local Lindbergh Elementary a year ago. Thus, the final piece.

We announced Sunday to the congregation that, Lord willing, we are having a Jack Buck Celebrity Golf Tournament October 6, 2008. Our goal? We want to raise $1,160,000.00 in this one event for 58 Tulsa Public Elementary Schools' ($20,000 per) art, music, and PE departments.

What? Are we crazy? We just as well have announced we intend to get congress to give us the money. There's no way. This is such a big number that every time I go to type it in I have to study the zeroes to be certain there are enough. This is a huge project. However, volunteers are coming out of the woodwork. Excitement is fervent among so many who don't play golf or like sports. They like school teachers and children.

Our goal is to signal the community that area churches who know God serve. I hope when this project is done that God comes out being the centerpiece for all to acknowledge. Would you, wherever you live, build a prayer team for this event? Tell me if you are in. If you are in a small group out in another territory, would you ask your group to pray for us? We can't possibly pull this off. Nobody raises a million dollars in a golf tournament. I guess we'll raise the bar!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Nope, we're not out of our minds! We serve a big God and with Him anything is possible. This is just pocket change in the way of things He can do for us and with us.
I'm excited for this adventure. And I'm not even a golf fan.

Anonymous said...

Terry, No you are not out of your minds, just be careful to not be consumed to reach the amount. I shared with awhile back about the efforts I was blessed to be a part of in helping a committee raise $70,000 for a young man paralyzed from the neck down. 58 schools multiplied by $70,000 would equal = $4,060,000 - with a year to go it can be done, believe - With God you know that all things are possible. God Bless, Jim