Wednesday, September 26, 2007

NEEDY LEADERS

If you are anything like me you want to do twice the work you possibly can; yet, possess only half the confidence needed to pull off the nagging interruptions of an average day. Mediocrity bugs us while great success intimidates us. We dream of extensive productivity while fearing the embarrassment of failure. What kind of leaders are we? Men (women) or mice (mousettes)? The good news is I believe we are the latter. We are basically too little for such a big life.

I know a few whom we would regard as powerful and influential leaders. They run scared. Yet, they trust God. Abraham Lincoln is a famed and respected American leader. He admitted, I have been driven to my knees many times on the overwhelming conviction I had nowhere else to go!

The reason I write this is for the giants of men and women out there who never had it occur to you that you are marvelously enough. You've got what it takes. If you are believing the great successes are those who one day reach that glorious crest after working their way up in confidence, you simply don't get it. All human leaders come equipped with ideal "impossibility awareness" which keep us dependent upon the "possibility" God. We can't. He can. That's the formula for effective living. The we can't must not be denied; but must be trumped with our personal He can faith.

There is no leader quite so powerful as a spiritually needy leader. There are no decision makers who make better decisions than those unsure leaders who must have God's help with deciding. (Calvin Miller)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so refreshing to be encouraged that through Christ we are enough.
Have you and Dusty talked today? His post on controlling - and your post on let God work - goes hand in hand.
love you today,
Billye

Unknown said...

This is a common theme of your blog, but always a needed one. In our Bible study yesterday, we discussed the unlikeliness of many (especially women) listed in the geneology of Christ. The common thread seemed to be stepping out in faith, and that God will use the unlikely to accomplish His purpose. I believe the Holy Spirit is present not only in our re-birth, but in our physical birth and has plans to use us if we will be cooperative participants. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Ps. 139:13
I Love You!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about some of the more contemporary songs in worship, but, we dare not abandon some of the old hymns like "I Need Thee Every Hour" written in 1837. It is just a fresh today as it was then. Our dependance on Him is constant. Thanx for the reminder.
James

Anonymous said...

I am like you, apparently. My husband calls me the "crammer" because of the amount of tasks I try to fit into everyday. Only occasionally going to bed feeling like I accomplished a little. I remember learning the term "inferiority complex" as a teenager and knowing that I suffered from it. My entire life wondering who I was and what my purpose for being was. I have been reading a book by Ravi Zacharius, "The Grand Weaver". In it he tells a story about a sailor whose life was not once but twice threatened at sea. Later reflecting on the importance a boyancy belt played in his fate, he studied it. Memorized the number sewn to it. Later in his Mother's kitchen he related his trials to her and told her about the label in the belt. To both of their astonishment, they realized that the mother had herself produced that belt at her factory job and left her mark on it (her assigned number). What a feeling that must have come over them! Will I ever experience the realization and deep understanding of how what I do, however insignificant to me, can be used in God's plan? What a humbling gift that would be! I have decided it does not matter if I ever understand how He may use me. Only that I desire to be used by Him, in whatever way He finds me useful, to further His Kingdom. I guess that I am finally finding comfort in my littleness. It just occurred to me, my name means "little one". :)

Jim Martin said...

Terry,
A very encouraging post. Thank you.