Wednesday, September 05, 2007

ARE WE DOING LIFE TOO SMALL?

(THIS IS WRITTEN FOR THURSDAY MORNING ON WEDNESDAY EVENING. IF IT'S STILL WEDNESDAY WHERE YOU ARE, DON'T READ THIS ONE YET. READ THE ONE BELOW. COME BACK TOMORROW.)

I carry a book in my car for study at moments of delay; i.e. doctor's office, waiting for breakfast at the cafe, scheduled appointment running late at the coffee shop, etc. I don't want to miss out on opportunity. Life is fascinating, don't you think?

So, how does one enjoy now? Many don't, you know. If we can make the slightest hint of progress, maybe bigger life will unfold for some here and there. I once lived a life without God. Now, everything is so new all of the time. Thinking positively and faithfully brings about a macro-shift in our normal trek through the rigors called "here and now". Here are some ways to begin a bigger life:
  • BE THANKFUL
  • BE APPRECIATIVE
  • BE GRATEFUL

Here's how I got started. I'd think how I would feel if things went really badly. For instance, what if my arm was paralyzed? What if I was blind and couldn't see a snow storm? What if I didn't have the ability to drive myself to work? What if I lived in a nursing home? What if I were a leper and couldn't feel touch so I would never know if I stepped on a nail. What if I went deaf? What if I had no friends? What if I lived in an iron lung? What if I had a son killed in war? What if I couldn't talk? What if I didn't have thumbs?

Next, I would ask myself, How would I feel if any of the above were a part of me and suddenly they were restored to perfect health? Well, I would feel so excited I would shout and smile and tell God and people how grateful I was. I would constantly tell about my miracle. And then, I would go ahead and do just that out of gratitude for not having to lose any of it before I told Him how happy I was to enjoy them. I live multi-miracled days....and so do you.

We have exorbitant living to do, friends. Let's not wait until it diminishes to begin appreciating it. Like right now! Calvin Miller wrote about how deep sea divers parallel our spirituality. Real spiritual divers are so in love with the depths that they don't spend much of their lives trying to make oceanography real in a world where birdbaths define smaller passions. Hurray for Mr. Miller......and for us. Determine to refuse birdbath living when there are oceans to explore!

Shall we begin to go swimming.....now.....in our oceans?

5 comments:

Terry Rush said...

I just want to comment on my own blog. Man, that is really good stuff!

Me

Brenda said...

You're wern't supposed to comment until Thursday! You cheated! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Brother Rush, Please keep writing. I enjoy reading the words from your heart. I read your postings and sort of wish everyone I know read them too. I have sent the web address to some, but not to all. Maybe I will get around to it someday. I don't know where politics come in your list of priorities, but I do want to share here who I hope runs for the presidency and if anyone wants to check out a website, please do: well I decided to send more:
I hope this isn't too much to share with your readers but I hope a conservative leader goes to the White House.

Dear friend,

First of all, I am sorry if I sent this to you before--please forgive me if you didn't want to see this again; however, we need a man with Alan Keyes' integrity in the highest office in this land. I sure hope he runs and I hope you do to. God Bless

Because the 2008 election is one of the most important in our nation's history, we can't afford to let the elites who control the political process dictate our choices for president. Instead, grassroots Americans need to step forward and support a true conservative leader who represents the values and priorities most Americans share.

We need a proven statesman, constitutional authority, and national moral leader to lead and unify our country in these difficult times!

We need ALAN KEYES!

I encourage you to SIGN THE PETITION drafting Alan Keyes for president -- and to FIND FIVE OTHERS who will do the same:
http://www.alankeyes.com/petition.php

Please also consider making a contribution to this effort:
http://www.alankeyes.com/donate.php

I'd also like to invite you to join the Keyes Team and get involved in the movement to elect this superbly-qualified, courageous advocate of moral principle:
http://www.alankeyes.com/join.php

You can view streaming videos of Dr. Keyes at www.alankeyes.com -- to see, firsthand, Alan's inspiring speeches and interviews, and to learn more about his moral-based positions.

Alan Keyes -- who served as Ronald Reagan's Assistant Secretary of State for International Organizations, and who wrote his Harvard dissertation on the Constitution -- is unparalleled among the current or likely candidates for president. Please support this outstanding statesman.

Keep faith,

Jim Cooke

Stoogelover said...

Yes it is good stuff, Terry.

Anonymous said...

Lord have mercy, I'm on Terry's blogroll. Yee Haw!! Terry you have taught me so well. Everything is "Yes!" Even the hard stuff. I love you more today than ever.