Tuesday, June 12, 2007

THANK YOU, GOD!

I've heard Chuck Colson speak on three occasions over the last decade and a half. He came to Tulsa Monday night. Mary and I were the guests of Shawn and Arlene Mayes. It was a meaningful gathering at their kids' school, Regent Preparatory School of Oklahoma.

Colson was about his usual, never-failing brilliance. The man is such a testimony of conviction and a greater source of faith. He has the broadest grasp of worldview of anyone I know in the Christian field. Ravi Zacharias would come a close second.

Mr. Colson spoke for about an hour and every statement resonated with reason to pay continued attention. Afterwards he responded to maybe a dozen questions. Two answers especially stood out to me:
  1. In response to the stability of the President, he said, Look folks.....on 9/12 (the day after 9/11) who would have forecast that at the end of the next six years there would be no more attacks on American soil, unemployment would be 4.5 and the stock market would be strong?
  2. When asked about his view of the situation in Iraq: We must stay. If not, Iran will take 2/3 and Turkey 1/3 and then Iran will attempt to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. However, I will tell you one thing I see developing. China has an estimated 100 million Christians underground. I believe the Chinese Christians will be the ones who hold back Islamic extremists.

Colson's breadth of information/experience is fascinating. The first time I met him....I apologized for arrogantly believing his conversion to be a "handy sham". This man knows the Savior. I now know God a little better because I learned to listen rather than spout pious judgment against this born again man. The world is full of hope. Jesus is drawing more to himself...day by day. We have reason to be enthused.

And....100 million Christians in China? Thank you, God!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry, I would need to apologize to him, as well. I recall hearing the news of his turning to God and scoffing. After reading his heart poured on in print, I was ashamed of my quick and shallow judgment. I pray our paths can cross so I can tell him face-to-face. Thanks for sharing.

cwinwc said...

I'll join you guys as part of the "scoffer" club.
Colson is dead on with his number 1 and 2.

craig said...

As alluded to often in your blog, we are given many opportunities to humble ourselves every day. I'm not old enough to know Colson as a Nixon man; only as G-d's man. This is His grace to me. Through Colson's words on the air (I read them every day), in print (about to start "How Now..."), and via blog (http://thepoint.breakpoint.org), I've only known the blessings of how G-d has redeemed Chuck.

Now, if my own conviction would run as deep giving action to my hands!

Stoogelover said...

There are so many siblings out there we've excluded from fellowship, but thankfully we're beginning to realize it's not about being right on all the issues ... it's about the blood of Jesus and those who are in Christ far more than who worships behind what sign. I thoroughly enjoy reading Colson, though much of what he writes makes me very uncomfortable ... but we live in an uncomfortable world and he has the insight to tell us the truth!