Saturday, May 05, 2007

HOW LONG DO WE TRY?

When trying to help people who are down on their luck, how long do we try to assist them before we say, That's enough? One of the things needy ones call for the most is money. We hand out thousands of dollars through the year to the less fortunate. In most situations there are return calls pleading for additional "this-time-it's-an-emergency" funds.

In some cases there seems to be an air of scam. For others, it's not the same. How do I detect this? Discern this? That's what bothers me. I never know. In some cases the Spirit may be nudging me. My potential to misjudge bugs me.

I believe the answer to the question I pose is arbitrary. There are some cases where it really feels we are casting pearls before the swine. Some seem to be lazy or on the take....or both. The others are the ones I'm concerned about. I'm feeling there are well-intentioned souls out there who have no training to handle finances or organization or work skills. They are drowning in a sea of overwhelming demands and they aren't equipped to take on the responsibility. They grew older with little effective discipline as to how to survive. Fault no longer is in the mix. There is significant need....now.

For these I remind us we may be needing to re-up our commitment for when they fail the first and second time, they may be needing our 70 x 7 endurance. Memorial is working with two couples (at least) who are desperately trying to get life in order. The demands of money needs alone wear and weigh on their hearts. I carry similar weight and I make a huge salary. What must is be like to not know if you'll have a roof and bed at the end of the next 30 days?

My point? Don't let the scam artists lead you to believe their are not those out there on our streets needing and calling for our extreme patience as they take a step forward and two backward. They'll one day be well, if we don't let go of the rope.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh Terry...I have a story....
I once went to a picnic with some fellow christian many years ago. There was, what appeared to be, a homeless man walking the park. He stopped, stared for a while, and watched us as we were wrapping up for the evening. We had TONS of leftovers!!! I bagged up all of the stuff we were taking home and went over and gave it to him. He resisted at first, but eventually took it. He just wanted to observe our gathering. When I got back to the group, one of the ladies said to me
"I sure wouldn't have done that...being homeless is a choice and if he chooses to be homeless, he's making a choice to be hungry"

I have always been disturbed by that comment and I didn't care if he was homeless or had a million dollars, the fact is that this man was homeless and hungry....AND I WASN'T!

I don't have a problem giving money to the man on the corner who holds up the cardboard sign "Any help is appreciate" or "Will work for food." I wan them to know there is someone out there that doesn't care if they will work or not, if they need the money, and I have it, I will give it.

The other day, one of my kids gave me their last dollar for a man on the corner and said "I don't really need it anyway...I'd just buy another toy, he needs food"

Wow..what I can really learn from my children.

The Preacher's Household: said...

Terry,

I ran across your blog some time back and have been meaning to write. Like you, the answer is a conflict for me. I too feel the urging of the Spirit to help indeterminately at times. Thank you for the encouragement.

I have a conversation I would like to have but do not want to address in this forum. I would appreciate you e-mailing me. I can be reached at mr.jamesadair @ yahoo.com (I left the spaces for the same reason you have word verification).

James