Tuesday, May 22, 2007

DON'T YOU LOVE "IMPOSSIBILITY" DOCTRINE?

God has surprised me. As I look back at my conversion in 1970, it seems I may have simply switched some habits. However, I was still carrying life's load of responsibilities while God was a remote Vagueness merely sought by me to endorse my plans. The load was on me. Today I make a more concerted effort to see what God is doing and jump on His bandwagon.

He has surprised me as I find Him faithful to Jesus' plea, Come unto Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. God surprises me at how easy life flows if I will release the tense reigns of control. I didn't realize:
  • Power is perfected in weakness...II Cor. 12:9. I had little influence; quite small doses of power. I had an abundance of weaknesses. He said my weaknesses would be perfectly powerful....so I gave them to Him. He was right. The weaker I am the more powerful I get.
  • Intentional stillness trumps erratic action....Ps. 46:10. My trust that He would work is far more effective than my trust that I must make things happen. If I'll do the waiting on Him, He'll do the showing up for me....and it's so much more exhilarating!
  • Giving leaves more to spend than keeping...II Cor. 9:8. This one is wacky. To me it verifies there is truly life after death. If anything this strange can be true, life after death is no puzzle.
  • Tiny seed planting pulverizes humanistic organizational determination....Mt. 13:23. As much may be done in the moment's seed of courtesy to the waitress than a week's campaign knocking doors. We tend to look for the big to count. His Word has always pleaded with us to get it that Davidic concepts devastate Goliath theories. If we will strive to be little, He will have room to show up in our world triumphantly.

These are just a few surprises I've seen about God. I simply didn't see these truths coming down the pike of belief. Each is nearly scandalous. Impossibility has become routine for those who believe. Life can't possibly work this way. Regular life doesn't. Abundant life does! For me and my friends? We chose Abundant Life! We love impossibility doctrine!

6 comments:

cwinwc said...

Makes me want to break out into a chorus of "The Impossible Dream."

Good thought's brother.

Stoogelover said...

So true! I particularly like "Intentional stillness trumps erratic action." I've tried for years to get Christians to understand that ... and to understand it in my life.

I don't drink coffee. Love the smell, hate the taste, so my morning cup of coffee is to read your blog!

Unknown said...

The first part of March I saw "Facing the Giants" for the first time. Then, the Workshop was a great inspiration. Both of these events and the messages that came from them have caused me to enjoy being on "God's team" and looking at what part I can play as each day plays out. I don't like to sit around and watch, I like to be in the middle of things. As each day unfolds, I look forward to what is around the corner as to how I am going to be involved in God's "game". It is exciting!!!

Neva said...

Came by to visit via Liz's place. I enjoyed this post very much. I am with Greg on my favorite. Thanks for the encouraging post.

Peace
neva

Liz Moore said...

I agree with Greg and Neva on the favorite as well! Isn't funny how we sometimes think we need to help God? That we know where He is going... it's amazing to me what happens when we just get out of His way and then watch to see where He is working! Great stuff! love ya!

preacherman said...

We must realize that God is God of the impossible. He can do more than we ask or imagine. Can do anything when things seems hopeless.

I believe that we must remember this as a key doctrine in our life.

Great post brother.