Wednesday, March 07, 2007

TULSA WORKSHOP....WHY IT STAYS ALIVE

Who could know, due to His immeasurable grace, why the Tulsa Soul Winning Workshop remains on the cutting edge. Before I give one reason for it's endurance, it would be proper to admit I have made many repeated enormous mistakes. I've invited both liberal leaning and conservative standing speakers who have bombed. I've personally spoken with an attitude which did not come from the Spirit of Jesus; but rather from the divisive emotions of a faithless human. If one ever says they wouldn't walk across the street to hear me preach, I don't blame them.

There is one trait I am grateful to note. Tulsa has been strong to love the vast array of brotherhood characteristics without bowing to its politics. Garnett never succumbed to pressing threats and neither did Memorial. Both sets of elders have bent over backwards to be accommodating, but they would not yield to complaint if they concluded such did not align with the sacred Word. Thousands have been ultra gracious over the years to discard our glaring mistakes and treat us with love and respect.

God has blessed the workshop. Those of us who get to lead out with it never take it for granted. We get constant feedback. Positive letters and calls flow throughout each year. We also evaluate each complaint, weigh the issue, and respond according to what we believe God wants from us at the moment. Our elders take such a ministry quite seriously. While we are sensitive to people, we truly work at gauging where God has us at the moment and where He'd wish to take us.

I've been chastised strongly nearly every year by some attendees because of some facet a few didn't like. Whether it pains our hearts and whether the concern was delivered with love, we weigh all of the thoughts expressed. Some we regard. Others we find we need to let go and move forward. We do our best to make decisions from the basis of faith and not from fear.

So, thank you....all of you....for your kind support all these years. It is not an easy task....but it surely is a privileged one. We have one thing in mind: we want the name of Jesus extended to every soul on earth. Forgive me for those many times I failed to design the best venue for such a goal. I am just like the brotherhood: good at a couple of things and lousy at about 25 (or should that be 225?). We believe we each pool our "couple of things" and the result is the "Body" of Christ. Thank you for holding on to us when you deserved better. Together we will keep growing upward!

The Tulsa International Soul Winning Workshop is still one of the most exciting brotherhood reunions on earth and it just keeps getting better. I hope to see you in Tulsa March 22-24!

7 comments:

Liz Moore said...

The Tulsa Workshop continues to be one of the great highlights of my year! We will be attending for the 11th year this year. You and everyone involved do a great job every year. I have never walked away from a workshop not feeling blessed, pumped up and eager to serve the Lord with a renewed spirit. As far as mistakes, I don't even remember them. It's kind of like childbirth, though the pains may seem great at the time, once that joyous gift from God arrives, you don't even remember being in any pain. The enormous blessings far out weigh any pain you might have experienced at the time. May God continue to bless each of you as you strive to serve so many in the kingdom in the name of Christ! Love you!

Stoogelover said...

I've only been once. I still remember it as a wonderful weekend! Took my mom and had a great time discussing the various speakers and perspectives. We learned a lot and I've always wanted to return. I love your spirit and perspective. Your elders (and those of Garnett) are to be commended!

Anonymous said...

Terry: You guys have done a super job over the years in keeping TULSA alive...so many others have fallen by the wayside.

And, saw your picture on Keith's site....as "swab and deboner" as ever!

Blessings Bro
Carl Wade
http://kentuckycolonel.wordpress.com

Terry Rush said...

Josh....we'll miss you this year. Get ready for next....now!

Carl Wade....are you still living? So wonderful to hear from a man who inspired the 1000s in the beginning workshop days! Terrific to hear from you!

Jeanne said...

Terry, What a great post! I loved this statement, “We have one thing in mind: we want the name of Jesus extended to every soul on earth.” It thrilled my heart to hear it proclaimed that the message is Jesus – always has been, always will be. Not anyone’s particular brand of Jesus – just JESUS! I love that!!!!!!!!! I love it that the leadership at Memorial and Garnett has always allowed the Workshop to be led by God, not by men. I love it that the leadership won't allow the Workshop to become a platform for any message that detracts from God's message of salvation, hope, and love. I know it makes you all a target for criticism at times but it sure keeps you in good company with another man who wouldn't let the religious leaders of the day distract people with issues and rules instead of knowing God!

Royce Ogle said...

I hope I can be there this year, at least for some of it.

The workshop is like our churches at large. Jesus Himself would not fit in some of them I suppose. He would be too liberal for some and too conservative for others.

Thank God, we are loved with our warts and bumps and when He gets done with us we will be finally like Him.

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle

Anonymous said...

It is a great experience. Always a lot of food for thought.