Friday, March 02, 2007

CHURCH GROWTH ADVICE

What's the one thing you believe is really needed at your congregation? For me, it's the same thing we needed when I moved here and the need never fades. New people keep coming our way. We need 100% of our people to speak to 100% of our people and the guests. We've improved greatly, but we lack 100% participation.

I've never seen such an easy method be so avoided by so many. Jesus calls us to do more than greet our brothers only. We are so far off some can't even greet all of our brothers. How many times do members and visitors look at one of us only to see our eyes dart away instantly to avoid saying, "Hello"? This plagues every congregation. Yes, we all have the outgoing ones....thank you God. However, we have so many who are self-centered and will not risk making a guest feel cordially welcomed. We have paraded our big five doctrines, but still can't get some who have been in the church for forty years to greet anyone but their six friends.

I believe offering friendly greetings to strangers is a call from Him and it's always encouraging to be greeted warmly by everyone. What do you think is needed most where you serve (And, I don't want to hear from the Memorial readers we need a new preacher. That would ruin my point....I think.)?

We all have various gifts....and we can all say, "Hello" to a our visitors.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

New Preacher??? Never! Wouldn't even think of it.

I think you've already hit the number one point and that is communication. Not only between the current members, but the new flock that is coming in as well.
Believe it or not, communication is difficult for me with stangers. It requires getting out of our comfort zones and facing our own fears. But how can we expect ourselves to do something when we won't get our of our own way. Or even better, when we won't get out of God's way. He's leading, and there are times we are just not listening. Or we hear him and think about what may happen if we do what God request of us.
That simple "hello" could be God communicating through us and he's giving us that opportunity to stand out in the crowd and stand up for him, but again, our fears get the best of us.
So that's with strangers...what about our own church family? We have small groups...but do you branch outside of there? What about those not connected in a small group or any activity? Is there someone communicating with them? Are we seeing God work in that persons life enough to keep them going in the current congregation? I think so many times we need to examine ourselves and where we are before we can reach out to others. New people can see right through us if we are not real with ourslevs and most of all, real with God.
I could preach here...so I'll stop. Love ya Terry!

cwinwc said...

It is amazing how many people the Lord sends our way without us lifting a finger of effort and yet at times we will ignore an "assignment" from God. Thanks for the post Terry.

Anonymous said...

In my experience more and more people are ignorning the sign on the door and going where they feel welcomed and accepted.

Stoogelover said...

I just may change a few words, give you the credit (or blame, depending on how it goes) and run this in our weekly bulletin. A greeting is such an easy thing to do, you would think. A few years ago my children and I attended the largest church in Florence, Alabama and I intentionally positioned myself so that people would have to see me and even walk around me. Not one person said a word to me! I was handed a bulletin, but in silence.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!