Friday, December 01, 2006

Fiery Friday....AGAIN

10 1/2 inches of snow this morning in Tulsa, OK!!!!!!

Let's continue that Friday thing we've been trying by throwing some gasoline on some good people who make a difference for so many. This week let's explode on those who influenced us as kids or who influenced our kids in good ways they may never know.

CHARLES COIL inspired me to preach with passion. I met him while at Preston Road. I was 24. When I heard him preach, my grades soared in homeletics. Fortunately, I got to share such with him over the years as we became close friends. I'll not forget what Charles Coil showed me regarding pulpit skills.

MINDY PITTMAN was a huge influence on Wendy. Approximately four years older, Mindy gave special attention to my girl; treated her with kindness and thoughtfulness. The power of a teen mentoring a pre-teen is priceless. Wendy grew to return the treatment to those younger than her because she had a friend who trained her well. MINDY PITTMAN.....I salute you!

CHRIS JONES was Dusty's hero. Chris remains a solid leader in the church. Without realizing it, he provided Dusty with a tangible vision of what a popular, successful business man can accomplish for God. Chris' role...while totally unassigned...fulfilled what each of us dreams of. He walked the talk and inspired a boy to become a man of God. Chris, I applaud your true and consistent leadership.

LINDA JONES taught Timmy to read. He later grew to be known as "Tim". Teachers and two tutors had not been able to connect his mind to the written page. Linda asked if she could work with him. He quickly learned to read. (I don't think they ever worked on spelling.) Even today she will tell you she didn't do anything special except build confidence in him. How special! Linda, I throw gasoline on you to continue to brighten life in all directions!

Share what someone did for you or your children along the way which seems to never be forgotten.

1 comment:

Jim Martin said...

Terry,
Charles Coil was my father-in-law. Like you, I was inspired by the passion in his preaching.

Seeing him up close for many years, I was also inspired by the absolute integrity of his life. The same person in public and in private.