Tuesday, November 02, 2010

GIVE THE COMMUNITY A DOSE OF ANTI-FREEZE

Should you think I'm addressing terrorism from some other country, I'm not.  I am discussing a social trait which reflects an ongoing terror; a personal terror which erodes and pains the hearts of ordinary folks.  I speak of being afraid to meet strangers.

Have you ever considered how frozen we are?  When we encounter or are encountered by the unacquainted a freeze-stare or a bold look in another direction is too often imminent.  One of the things I like about the Quik-Trip employees is they greet the customers/strangers (Maybe strange customers?) with such enthusiasm.

I was in line to vote in the darkness of 6:45 today as a group of us awaited the 7:00 a.m. opening.  A dozen strangers stood in line without a word; complete silence.  After a bit, it just became too weird.  Are we in frozen terror of one another? 

I decided to make an announcement.  Why not.  Anyone could have the floor; I mean the sidewalk.  Thank you all for coming.  This won't take long.  The reason I called this meeting is I have a few church bonds for sale....this won't take long....really.  They broke out laughing.  I was their anti-freeze!

Strangers began interacting.  One man was surely happy discussions began as he had lots to say!

After a bit I said, Well everyone, I think we can see where this is going.  Let's go ahead and draw names for Christmas!  Urgh...wouldn't you know the doors opened and our gathering on the sidewalk came to a halt.  Just when it was going so good....it had to end.

Our goal?  Become anti-freeze to a society that needs thawing.

1 comment:

Edward said...

And if we don't see one another before Easter, we'll each hide our own eggs! I love it! I had a similar experience yesterday during a lengthy elevator ride filled with strangers. I wondered aloud, "why do elevators seem to smell different to pygmies?" It was great!