The first eighteen years were pretty rough. The next fifteen years have been the opposite. I had to grow up to get the point through my head that I will always be trying to grow up. I had miscalculated. I had not arrived as I had assumed. I did not come to Tulsa as a favor by me to them....but of God to me.
I needed the rigors, the challenges, and the many blessings. It isn't a matter of what I have done for the church but what the church has done for me.
I've learned a few things along the way....well 24 ideas just fell out:
- Power is perfected in weakness.
- The sermon isn't the main thing about the assembly....God is.
- Sometimes one just has to stand alone by themselves and learn to not be depressed.
- If you want to see a church come alive do two things; develop worship in song and build a children's ministry.
- The name of Jesus is more than signing off on a prayer.
- Forgiveness is what I needed more than what they needed.
- God works.
- Everybody is important.
- Shouting and pounding don't make an effective sermon.
- Bragging on the church inspires its members more than insulting it.
- God still does impossible things.
- Children will grow to do more than we can imagine if we will cut the guilt/fear strings.
- I'd rather operate from God's unknown mystery than my assumed understanding.
- One of our more urgent works is to believe in others.
- When you can't figure how, everything will be okay.
- Don't get discouraged when it seems things aren't working out for those will be the very paths God uses to work it out better than we had assumed.
- Patience always produces.
- The Holy Spirit isn't for sissies.
- Prayer is meaningful when we learn God is active.
- Don't be pressured to sacrifice your time for others just to keep them happy for the day is coming when that kind of person will move on unhappy with you anyway.
- God will get the work done; my job is to believe Him.
- Some in the brotherhood will pat you on the back as long as you are faithful to their traditions.
- The church is the most exciting system on earth.
- We carry resurrection power....and we've got big work to do!