Tuesday, January 05, 2010

CARDINAL CAMP IN TWO WEEKS

I'm sore. I've been working out as baseball camp is coming soon. I make my annual trek to Jupiter, Florida to play baseball with former Cardinal players as well as fat boys like me. This will be my 27th year. I never would have guessed I would get to be me.

I hardly know what to think of this venture or how to evaluate it. There isn't a week goes by but a benefit from this effort shows up. Constantly, members of the church (some who have no interest in the game) want to bring friends and relatives by to see my office....as they have been talking to their friends about getting back into church....and these people like baseball....so they begin with a visit to my place.

I thought God would work if I could go just one time; I never imagined all of this. As a result we've done a major outreach film (High Hope for the Human Heart) and a major church motivational film to inspire outreach (100% Natural Evangelism). God gave me the opportunity to write a book that the Cardinals chose to give away to attendees on Fan Appreciation Day. And, I've just completed a new manuscript endorsed by the Cardinal stars such as Whitey Herzog, Tommy Herr, and Bob Forsch....MVP (Why You Are Most Valuable in God's Eyes).

We've gone into prisons to play ball with inmates and then teach them about Jesus. We had 61 baptisms from one talk. There have been numerous baptisms around the nations as a direct result of this idea. We even converted the guest speaker at one of our camp's banquets.

Of course I'm enamoured with each trek to the camp. I've learned to stretch my outreach efforts by working in bars and one year even at a Buddhist Temple with Orlando Cepeda. Intending to reach out, I've had to learn new ropes; and it's been good for me to see once again that all classes and levels of people still need the one and only Savior.

I've never lost my vision nor enthusiasm for this work. What's weird is....it works!

And then, one of the best things about the camp is it forces me to get in shape. At 62 it gets more difficult to do all that workout stuff. The slightest injury takes longer to heal. I went to the batting cages yesterday and then to the gym. My next stop was the chiropractor. I still hurt.

But how blessed I am. How fortunate to get to build such strong bonds over the years with guys who don't yet know God....but I know the day will come when they want to.

No comments: