Tuesday, January 05, 2010

CONTROL

Take a look at any individual---public figure or private soul---and you are peering at one who in ways is making strong effort to build their own empire. Control doesn't just flow down from CEOs. It flows up river when momma isn't happy.

Wishing to take control is as natural as liking chocolate. The problem for all of us is running into another who is determinedly more dominant.

I know a lot about control. I've wanted to be in charge most of my life. How should I have known I was lumped in with a society which is committed 100% to each being in charge? This creates quite a contest!

And in the church? Oh my goodness. My first couple of decades in it were filled with classes and workshops regarding questions of who has authority, who is in charge, and who rules the roost. I found the entire church to have my disease.

But, I've watched Jesus. He had plenty of backbone; so much so he didn't have to come out looking good. He could avail himself to private beatings in back alleys or public humiliation upon the cross without one trivial cheap-shot at any of the unfair and unjust accusers. What I saw is Jesus was very much in control by not taking control. He let the Father handle it....and handle it the Father did.

Be encouraged. A part of the fruit of the Spirit is self-control (Gal. 5:22-23). Odd, don't you think? Just when we learn to yield we discover the Holy Spirit helps us to be in control? No. He doesn't put us in control of people.

Instead He gives us strength to control our tongues, to control our emotions, and to control our egos when we very much would like to go on defensive and/or offensive tirades. Jesus didn't and we will learn not to.....once we grasp the work of the Holy Spirit wishing to bear His fruit in our very ordinary lives.

Wanna be in control? Let go of it.

1 comment:

Broken Chains 4 All said...

Two good words for Christians to grasp today in the busyness of our society...stop and yield. When we truly understand who is in control, these principles are much easier to exercise.