Friday, August 15, 2008

GOD STORIES.....I LOVE THEM

Be encouraged by the following note from one as common as the rest of us and is simply wowed at God's work. And, if you have a God Story, email it to me at trush@memorialdrive.org. I want to know what's cooking out there! Terry


Hi Terry, Vasca Beall here from Weatherford TX . My husband is one of four shepherds at S Main . He and I lived in China for 2-1/2 yrs...teaching conversational English but quietly teaching about Jesus. God led many people to our door and thankfully we were able to teach many and baptize twelve. One entire family...father, mother and teenage son. We return often...usually twice a year. Michael and I were 72 when God called us to China ...now we're 77/78 and still called. Prior to our return home to Texas in Dec/2004, we were able to help the Chinese establish an underground house church. God continued blessing the group and gave us the opportunity to bring our first Chinese children (His first-fruits for us in 2002) to Sunset's two year program in Texas...just began the 2nd year. They are fully supported by our home congregation. FYI...The Texas school discouraged us from the get-go, saying they were not able to have any Chinese approved for Visa's. We persisted and finally the school did their portion of the necessary paperwork. At last, the couple had their appointment in Beijing at the Embassy for their Visa interview...nervous is hardly the word for their feelings...but they have faith. They were going through the short interview when the interviewer said, "You seem to have a lot of connections in the U.S. , what about China ?" Our "daughter" replied that they had no home, no ties, etc. The interviewer asked, "Where is your home?" A surprising reply, "We have no home...our home is everywhere." The interviewer laughed, typed a bit and then said, "Okay, you have your Visa's...I believe you." They were the only Chinese approved that day...everyone else was rejected.

I don't want to bore you (I get excited about heart stuff) but I'd like to relate a couple of other incidents. Michael and I didn't indicate any preference as to where we'd like to be assigned in China ...just put us where we could be used. The University that we were initially assigned to, rejected us due to their concern about our advanced ages. We were immediately assigned to another school. Three days after our arrival, a school staff entourage visited our apartment to become acquainted...one was a young female Chinese 1st year Univ. English teacher. She sat down beside me and said, "I think you're a Christian, aren't you?" Well, yes. That was the end of that.

She returned the following day, alone...with an English textbook for us to look over for teaching purposes. I will always have the picture in my mind...always. She stood beside our dining table and announced, "I know why you're here." When that hits you, your first thought is "Uh-Oh...trouble's here." I replied, "Oh, why is that?" I was totally zapped at her reply ~ "God has sent you, I've been waiting."

We taught and baptized her...she had already introduced us to her boyfriend who spoke a tiny bit of English...we taught and baptized him. The night of her baptism...going home by taxi, he grinningly told us, "I was and am so excited...last night I dreamed in English." The night he was baptized...going home by taxi (for people who can't speak, read or write Chinese...we wisely took taxi's everywhere) he said, "I'm a NEW MAN, I'M SUPERMAN." This couple has stayed with us...they married and they are the couple studying at Sunset...goosebumps!!!

Trivia? Yes, but it reminds us to always reach out...to stir hearts...to make a difference for Him. Your blog has contributed greatly to the excitement we get out of ~ what else? Making a difference!!!

Michael and I have plans to leave DFW Oct. 7th for China...returning 29th Oct. We have accepted an offer to use a friend's apartment while they are out of the city and our Chinese family is eager to see us...they more than love "old people." That would be Michael and me...we more than love them, too.

Finally...wow! Back to the subject of the DVD's. Please send info. I promise not to write anymore epistles. Thankfully His, Vasca

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Home Run.
Out of the park!
Praise God for adventurous evangelists in their 70's.
Larry in Denver

Kay Bratt said...

That is an amazing story! My family and I spent almost 5 years in China. I worked in an orphanage while he toiled away at a factory. One day I came outside to find my driver sitting in the car reading a Bible written in characters! I was so shocked-- but he then said that he wanted to "Be a Christian so he could be happy like your family." (talking about us.) It was a moment I'll never forget.

Kay

Terry Rush said...

Kay,

That's such an endearing moment for us to get to learn about. Thank you! I want to encourage all readers the land is full of such stories.

Tell them. Such is our witness to the world!

Way to go, Kay

Jimmy Clare said...

Terry
I used this lady's story in my sermon on Sunday morning to close a lesson on God's power and our tendency as Christians to make Him small and the problem big. It fit perfectly - - - what a blessing! God is so good.

JC