Thursday, August 14, 2008

WHAT COUNTS?

What counts in trying to serve in the kingdom of God. I once thought very few efforts mattered to God; He wanted the big stuff from me. Such a philosophy was significantly discouraging to me because I possessed no big stuff. What counted? I thought there to be a couple of majors: preaching and baptisms. The preaching part was certainly verifiable in that I was preaching; but not very well. And the baptism part didn't seem to occur....for a long time....in my work.

Sure. Baptism counts. The Word concludes such. But so do more items than we can imagine. I want to encourage you that things you do count in the scheme of kingdom labor. We are the body of Christ; not just a slim-few Big-stuff Christians scattered here and there are the only ones doing things that matter. We are in the body and the body of Jesus roams earth doing stuff that counts. Here are a few you might note where you live:
  • Being patient when standing in a long line at Wal-Mart.
  • Giving up your seat to a lady in the doctor's office.
  • Leaving a nice tip for the single mom working double shifts to support her kids at home.
  • Baking a pie for the grumpy widower next door.
  • Assuring an insecure school child you believe great things will soon be coming from him or her.
  • Reminding co-workers you don't know so much yourself.
  • Appearing to know God will make everything work just right.

I'm convinced the subtle moments of assertive joy and kindness go a long way and they count. This morning I had breakfast with a young woman I had never met. She agreed to meet with me to work on a project that has me in over my head. It was very good of her to take the time to go over some matters which are key in planning this venture.

We were having breakfast and she was talking about important stuff. I said, "You know what?" She stopped and looked at me somewhat puzzled as I interrupted her train of thought. She waited for me to answer my own question. I said, "I really like you!" She paused and then sent a huge smile as if I had broken into her heart.....and she went on with her explanation. Five times later she remarked, "I think I need to visit your church." I agree. But I never asked her to consider such. I simply did a thing that counted. I told her I liked her. There is no law against liking!

Lots of stuff counts.....so get on with it. Whatever you do in word or deed, do it for Him. It counts!

1 comment:

Marshall Brown said...

"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." - Galatians 5:6

Good thoughts, Terry.

Marshall Brown