Saturday, April 23, 2016

THE UPROAR IS NOT ON TARGET

It might be that some of Sunday's Bible Class gatherings will include the outrage over Target's new bathroom policy.  I for one don't like the store's new stance for, in my opinion, it opens the doors to new troubles....I mean literally opens the doors.  So as you read the remainder of this post, know that I, too, sense the unease with such a recent revelation as to Target' open door policy.

We are to be a people of God who desperately want other people to be of God.  We are obsessed with the desire for good men and women and bad men and women (in reality we are all a bit of each) to know God.  Or....are we?

Just as this development over bathroom door postings is concerning, its very nature substantiates yet another facet of which I believes carries even surpassing distress for our ordinary communities.  The accelerated energy the Christian community seems to gain from social issues seems to tower over that same community's love and compassion toward those we deem as sinful.  This is the undoing of the Christian movement.

The very thing that I see that separates Christianity from every other organization is singular: the resurrection power of giving life to the dead.  This concept isn't just for latter days when the cemeteries pop open; but is also for living life at this very moment.  Believers believe.  We don't just believe in Bible facts.  We believe that what isn't can become and what is dead can live...Romans 4:17.

I do not deny the need for stances; for oppositions to sinful direction.  This need has always been true and seems to only escalate.  I, too, deny that raising our voices against regulations without raising these same voices for the offenders of these regulations is a serious glitch.  We are to love differently than an other system on earth.  The difference?  We are to love those we don't like.

Honestly, we have evolved into a religion that (while we don't want to admit it) not only hates sin, but we also very much hate the sinner.  It is at this point that we have evidently forgotten that we were and would still be the very same if not for our accepting the relief found in the blood of Jesus for by such not one of us can be saved.

While I very much disagree with Target's news, I am challenged to take the log out of my own eye first.  What bugs me about me is that evidently more than one log grows in my eyes for this need to pluck from my own seems to only increase.

For the possible critic of this post, I don't blame you.  I've great hesitation to hit publish.  Yet, regardless of personal fear, I simply ask us to weigh the idea that before we become possibly flippant about sins of another we must first concentrate on our own.  Note that God did not teach to take care of our own sins and not focus on the sins of others.  Quite the opposite.  He simply improved our approach.

He said that we are to remove the log from our own eye in order to get the speck from a brother's eyes.  Evidently such a personal extraction opens our hearts to the truth that no one's sin is as bad as our own.  Would it not be something if we would take the log from our own eye to construct our crosses from which we die that even our enemies would have new life?  That would be impressive, huh?

No comments: