Wednesday, May 27, 2015

WHY THE WORST FEELING IS THE BEST POSITION IN LIFE

It isn't easy being us.  Right?  Constant strain tugs bull-doggedly at every heart.  Not some.  Not most.  All.  The strain is sin of the flesh doing battle with the desires of the spirit.  No one is exempt.  No one is given Free Space.

So what shall we do?

Well, we try harder.  We become more determined.  Self-discipline seems to be a draw toward improvement.  Yet, failure looms...persists...annoys...presses.

It's weird in a surprising sort of way that the apostle Paul had such insight (well, more like such faith) to our demise.  Romans 7:14 begins what seems to be almost an inner self-discussion between Paul and himself.  His inner conversation could have gone something like:

I know to do better.  Want to really.  Not only do I not, I seem to decline.

The good is in me to improve but something keeps knocking me off course.  It is sin that wages war in my heart...in my members.

I want to do good; to be good...really.  But I find I'm worse; not better.  I've declined, not improved.

Verse 22 nails him for hope; any hope that could possibly arise from this quagmire of humanity.

I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wishes to do good.  For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.  

Wretched man that I am!  Who will set me free from the body of this death?  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

The one who traveled land and see in devotion to the causes of God continued to carry the turbulent inner battles of flesh versus spirit.  Yes, even as an apostle who did great things knew exactly how to be of legitimate assistance to us; followers of the same ideal.

Paul's conclusion is our solution to every sin and encumbrance that so easily pushes us downward.  It is not to be found in man's corrective efforts for even these are subject to frailty and eventual demolition.

No.  The solution is not a program.  It is a person.  His name is Jesus.  Wretched are we.  Honest evaluation.  Who can rescue us?  Jesus.  Only Jesus.  Just know he can, he will, he does...he has.

Wretched.  The worst feeling in the landscape of emotion.  The perfect position to know God.

No comments: