Wednesday, March 26, 2014

ANNOYING "NEW" AND THE GENERATION GAP

Where does the word new bug humanity more than in disease and church?  I can't think of a place unless it would be in the antique business.  It seems that we all cringe at learning of one who is found with a new illness.  And for this post, new in church has taken on a mistakenly negative characteristic among more than just a few.

With this concept is the idea of change.  It has been argued that one should not change things just for changes sake.

Really?  Have you ever known of a housewife who changed the furniture around simply because it gave the place a lift?  Change?  And think about the last time a husband came home with a new diamond ring for his wife?  Was her reaction, What? Why are you doing this?  I hate change!  I'd rather were this worn old thing!

Doubtful.

Or, What?  Please don't buy me another new car!  I hate change!  

Or, What?  Oh no, please don't build me a new house.  I like being cramped in this place!

So here's something to ponder.  Regardless of church affiliation, why is it that every generation seems to battle changes from the younger one?  Why is that?  Why has not one generation escaped the church turmoil of change.  It is always the younger generation (in general terms I speak) that has to break new ground in church.  Consistently, those who push for new will one day age and then be opposing the next young concepts.

I don't know that I'm right on this; but I give you a thought.  I believe new is a perpetual challenge for the church because God is new every day and we are to experience new every day and the flesh can't grasp it.  From music style, to ministry reach, to Bible version, change is a constant concern.  This isn't because each new generation is erratic just itching to mess up the church.  No.  I believe it is the nature of God.

Man has a steady problem.  We want to control matters; nearly all matters.  God's new and God's change disrupts our ability to control.

The annoying "new" creates a generation gap because as we age we seem to settle upon standards that please us when new pleases God.  I'm sixty-six years old...and I want to get newer day by day....II Cor. 4:16-18.

No comments: