Tuesday, January 07, 2014

OFF TO CARDINALS' CAMP...YEAR 31


I leave early in the morning for Jupiter, Florida; home of the St. Louis Cardinals Spring Training facility.  Anticipation couples so exciting with very intense. I go to see what God will do; who we will meet and what will develop.

We arrive on Wednesday, go through various exercises and instructions, play eight games in four days, and then return home Sunday night.

This has been a strange and wonderful experience for me. Strange in that it is mind-boggling that I would have ever gotten to do such a thing once; let alone three decades plus.

Wonderful in that I have been honest about the purpose from the very get-go; to influence others for the kingdom.

God-stories abound.

I like being in this setting for a couple of reasons; (1) I am a ridiculous Cardinal fan, and (2) I am way out of my league in this setting.  I'm not a good ball player.  I don't run with this kind of crowd.  And, I am a minister which is an automatic target of the macho-jocks.

Yet, what I like about camp most is that I am placed in an unchristian setting.  The insights to the kingdom are galorish!  As a minister I am mocked by some from the minute I arrive; but have learned to simply use that to my advantage.  Power is perfected in weakness and I know I am the epitome of weakness.

Famous people hurt.  Nobodies as myself (we are known as Rookies) live in deep pain.  From these camps I minister all year long; year after year, to those of both status and commoners.  Each has equal frustrations and agonies.  I intend to be a voice of hope.

This baseball evangelism effort is a 52 week a year engagement.  I minister to those at the top and those going under.  Ministry extensions from this one effort continue.  Hundreds have been baptized into the hope in Jesus.

Baseball camp isn't the major dream.  Living in the Kingdom is the ultimate one.  We each have our places of influence.  This is one of mine.

As you think of it, would you pray thanking God for doing His thing at camp?  I love to watch for Him; and He always shows up!

(This post will have to do until I return from the land of sore muscles and home runs.)

No comments: