Tuesday, January 14, 2014

BACK FROM BASEBALL CAMP

Our lives are about two things: God and others.  There is no adjustable, adaptable, alternate path.  Remove one of these two factors from the equation and/or add another and the perfect system of the divine intention breaks down.

Cardinal baseball camp is a thrill to me of course.  I've returned healthy and so excited!

Baseball is about a game of participants with talent and skill.  But because Jesus has worked on me over the years, baseball camp is like every other day of my life; about God and others. That is how I feel going in and coming out of this wonderful week of sheer wow!

I go into camp understanding one thing very clearly; I am the least with no hope nor intent to try to make myself be anything more.  Being nothing is a powerful secret. The week isn't about the game.  It is about God and others.

I pray going to the complex.  I pray walking to the field, approaching the plate, and walking back and forth to/from the complex that houses 150 of us athletes (sorta).

You and me....we like to know how things are to go before we enter an assignment. This isn't good because it implies it is about our success rather than God's goals.  We tend to weigh our image more than His ability. Do you really think Paul and Silas took a Wednesday night course on Jail Dismantling?  No.  They simply believed God would guide....that's all.

To be honest, I don't like going into any venue when I don't know how it will go nor how it is supposed to unfold.  Baseball camp, though, is that for me.  The most I can say is (1) I am there, (2) this is a mission about God and others, so (3) be vulnerably attentive.

From 6:00 a.m. til 10:00 p.m. I spent every day at camp on target with my assignment; watching for God and others.  It could not be about me for I am the most nobody there.  To verify this I share with you how the rosters were posted on the board for all to know which team we were assigned.

There were nine teams in all with 12 to 13 players per.  The list spanned a huge dry/erase board from Team #1 to #9; left to right.  My name?  Farthest right--Team #9.  Last listing--farthest right/lowest position--RUSH....last name listed....visibly, clearly, for all to see....L-A-S-T.

Ah, that tells us where I fit in the talent, skill, ability, athleticism range....LOWEST.

So I have nothing to offer but two things: interest in God and interest in others. Guess who knows everybody in camp.  Guess who listened to those recovering from bone-marrow transplants and to those discouraged with family matters. Guess who it was in camp that everyone knew his name.  Guess who it was that pulled the first-time Director of the Camp aside to point out what a fabulous job he was doing.

Who?  Well, I would be one of them and surely there were others.  When God and others are the divine assignment, each of us has plenty of opportunity to shine the light of the King upon challenged hearts.

If you feel you are a nobody, join the crowd.  This isn't a problem.  It is our secret to great and productive wonder....for God and others!

No comments: