Wednesday, August 14, 2013

THE EVANGELISM SPARK

When in preaching school I wanted to learn how to reach others and win souls.  I loved the thought.  I dreamed about it, imagined it, and deeply desired to be in on the most wonderful work upon all of the earth!

However.....I couldn't do it.

I tried.  Instructors advised and admonished.  Others in the class caught on in astounding ways.  Not me.

I'm glad.

I'm glad I couldn't succeed because this lets me know how many in the church feel at this moment.

I'm glad again because God helped me learn.  Today I live in that dream world of productive outreach.

What lights the spark?  Inner reconstruction?  Outer education?  Godly props?  Lucky breaks?

Hint: how would the empty tomb sound to you?

When Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (Mt. 28:1) came to look at Jesus' grave they found it empty. This spark of excitement gave them the chills as well as overjoy.  Immediate response was to turnabout and head right back into town declaring what they had just experienced.  Why?  They were told by the angel to go quickly and tell the disciples.

Not coincidentally, it is the resurrected Jesus in that very chapter who issues the great evangelism command to go into all of the world.

What's the spark?  The grave is empty.  Something beyond calculation and imagination occurred.  Spreading the word is easy when we have that immeasurable news!

The reason we struggle with going into all of the world...quickly...is the fascination of the empty grave has been reduced to creative programs and impressive speakers.  This is not so in God's territory.  When we are personally struck with awe at the empty tomb, we cannot help but spread the word.


No comments: