Saturday, November 10, 2012

ON OUR KINGDOM TOES

I contend that The Story has opened me to a zone of possibility that I thought I already knew; yet am proven once again to be a mere novice....and even that level could be exaggerated as too high.

I have never had trouble accepting the Bible as the true Word for God.  However, it appears my flesh-bossiness and controlling nature has smothered much of it.  My desperation to know my Bible has landed me in the very center of Jesus' admonition that I could know my Bible and not know God....Jn. 5:39-42.

My initiation into this brand new kingdom style back in the early 70s appears to have taken a strange turn.  In the name of Truth I am found guilty of padding my ego for those future moments when the world would call on me to provide the right answers.  I was all about answers and none about knowing God.  None.

From that perspective Bible study was selective, not conducting a Bible-study with an unbeliever was a guilt trip, giving was a burden, and prayer was ashamedly non-existent.  There was no need to be on my toes for I formed personal security by carefully engaging in the old paths that would help me come out looking good....I had hoped.

Today I find, as a follower of Christ, I must stay on my toes because God will not fit any of my predetermined orders of how I expect Him to respond and to behave.  God is both fluid and flexible.  That's why many in the brotherhood (which included me at one point) mistakenly reject the Holy Spirit's activity.  We can't make that error stick in the Word; but we do so try because we believe we can run the show without Him.

God is mobile and mysterious.  Guys like me have not presented such a God.  We have rather offered news of One which would not keep us on our toes; but hopefully would draw more to our pews.  It won't work.  And if it did....it would be really wrong.

Before I hit publish this post is already antiquated compared to the newness of God moment by moment.  Keep on your toes.  Anticipate God-surprises.  Let Him give us life....life unmanipulated by man.

1 comment:

Leah M. said...

Terry, you keep letting His Word come through on this blog for people just like me. I needed to read this just now. Praise God, .He showed up, just in time, like always.