Friday, October 12, 2012

WHAT I REALLY WANTED WAS TO BE A BIG PREACHER

When I entered preaching school my intent was to be one of the big boys.  There seemed to be no indication I could reach such scale.  Nonetheless, I wished.  I loved the idea of leading out in the church.  To develop a sound and a style of robust impressiveness was on my front burners for I really wanted to be a big, effective preacher.

Therefore, I write this to all who battle for a similarly self-centered position or any who are wannabe big preachers.

I learned a secret.

There are no big preachers.  In case you didn't hear me, THERE ARE NO BIG PREACHERS.

Why?

There is this big God whom little preachers are to point toward.

There is the huge Savior that all small preachers are to promote.

There is an amazing Holy Spirit that all puny-minded pulpiteers will never totally grasp; but are privileged to encounter.

And then there is a glorious church that has suffered self-imprisonment in places.  It struggles to breathe freedom and to eat from the table of fellowship Jesus sets. 

With big, huge, amazing, and glorious embedded in the grand scheme of God, His secret is to call weak men to be willing vessels for His residence.  We may begin wishing to be big preachers.  Yet, if we stick with Them long enough, we will be whittled down to truthful size; dinkier than we had first imagined....worse than we had ever wished.

However, we are not to be depressed.  Rather, we are to be quite elated.  

We get to bring the Best News that can ever be heard by human ears!  God created--died for His creation--and returned to abide within every loser.....that we could all cross the victory ribbon.  Go out and tell it...with great enthusiasm. 

Great size is about God. 

Never is it about we fumbling preachers trying to tell the Story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect example of this you are!!