Tuesday, July 24, 2012

WIDE-EYED KINDERGARTENERS OF THE KINGDOM

The kingdom of God won't work well when we are lazy.  Too many of us in the church are too lazy to study, to pray, to search.  It seems it is too much trouble to bother. It is easy to latch onto three truths or seven, close our hearts and minds, and conclude we know the truth about the truth.  To weigh, gage, measure, and consider isn't the lazy's cup of tea.

John 3:8 and its context reveals the Truth to be fluid.  The Word is our guide and it will always keep the student....the student. 

When I was converted, I approached the Bible as if there were 1000 details to learn and I was working on #23, 24, and 25 at the moment.  Upon graduation from Preaching School I felt I had advanced to #312 and 313. 

After I had been in ministry for about 20 years I discovered the details' range had grown substantially: maybe the 10 trillion category and I was back at # 4, 5, and 6.  In other words, not only did I not know all I assumed I did, a bit of what I learned was not Truth but Tradition.  I originally understood we had weeded out the latter. 

However, the Word is so in sync with the lively God that it continually adjusts the unadjustables.  It isn't that Truth changes.  It is that Truth changes the student.

I am resigned to forever reside in kindergarten in the kingdom and this doesn't frustrate me one bit.  Trying to convince others I had arrived did.  The more I study the more He fills me with awe!  I still can't get used to the fact I attend church regularly.  This God-stuff wasn't for me.

But....He changed my mind.  I get to be a part of the most amazing system EVER!  The secret isn't in knowing facts only.  It is also found in living overwhelmed at wondering just how much I don't know.  Wide-eyed and in kindergarten.  What a life!

No comments: