Sunday, April 01, 2012

THE AWFUL TASK OF PREACHING

Preaching is transitory. I don't know how it is for others, but for me the burden of speaking to a church about God is increasingly burdening....in a wonderful way. It scares me more week by week.

The task increases in weight...the weight to step out of the way so Jesus can have a legitimate shot at his church.

I love preaching. It is my continued passion. I fear my own flesh; that I might miss the Spirit, that I could offer no life from my Terry-delivery, or that I would simply be blind to His Word for the moment.

I mean not to complain.

Yet as I walk with and in Him, I find Him to be much larger than I once assumed in my throw-together-a-sermon-outline days. As I find Him to have increased, my truest self merely decreases. I cannot help but submit to His overpowering awe.

Thus, the load gets bigger for ongoing increase/decrease interaction between Father and me.

I will walk into our auditorium this morning in the midst of year 34 here. I will enter with absolute honor that I would get to be the one who is handed the awful task to preach. I will be challenged severely to yield to the Christ in me for my effort will be majorly disappointing.

It will be a good day because this very immeasurable God will work in spite of the little people like me.

No comments: