Tuesday, November 01, 2011

THE BIGGEST LOSER

My favorite television show is now in season; The Biggest Loser.

Everywhere we turn, learning is prominent. I study the speech traits of news analysts, timing of comedians, and the tendencies of all people under duress. God has secrets buried in each that I could use.

Oddly, each time I watch The Biggest Loser I feel like I have attended a two-hour seminar on leadership training. It happens week after week, season after season.

Tonight the nine remaining contestants were forced into realignment of teams and coaches. Few remained with their beloved coach of seven (or so) weeks. None got to stay with their welded teammates.

Anger and disruption has hit the ranch! My guess is that before the season ends new bonds and newer successes will develop.

I see in this the value of adjustment. As in physical training, muscles develop better when routine is broken. The same similarity appears to be true of humanity in general. Adjustment is necessary to keep us alive.

I think back about how I didn't want a computer, email, or a cell phone. The way I had been working...had been working. Why upset things when mediocrity seems to work so well?, I always say.

I laugh at the comment, You don't need to change things for changes' sake. Sometimes, even that is needed at times to awaken our dispositions to greater and undiscovered possibility.

Possibly?

So what is in this for us today? Disruption is all around. As leaders we would do well to study those areas where we see value in it. God says we are new day by day. True? If it is true, newness should be anticipated; not fought off.

Even the biggest loser is to be encouraged because in their enormous strain of losing weight, the lean and mean healthy one buried within their overweight is about to emerge. As we lose the overweight of life's turbulence, maybe we will discover yet a new us.

1 comment:

Brian's Bibilcial Minute said...

You turned my day upside down. I didn't know what to expect when I opened your blog this morning. "Don't change for change sake" has been a model of mine. You've given me much to think about and a challenge, nonetheless.

In my personal morning devotional, I'm reading through the bible using the Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language and a book called: Spiritual Leadership by J.Oswald Sanders.

I highly recommend Sanders book. It is much of what your blog is about and will turn your leadership upside down if you allow Sanders words to penetrate.

You are loved, Terry!