Monday, October 24, 2011

WHAT TO SAY BEYOND THE SMALL TALK

I just returned from a quick trip to Dallas to watch my Cardinals get beat last night (Sunday) by the Texas Rangers. As of now, the victories stand at Cope 2-Rush 2.

In traveling I watch for opportunities to connect with whomever God places in my path. I do the usual, Where's home for you? What do you do for a living, etc. Once I learn some surface things, I try to leave each person with some sort of meaningful thought to the extent that God might use me...or one of us...well down the road.

1. Re: the woman who came onto the plane and sat beside me going to Dallas. I shared with her that sometimes life gets a bit tedious. I gave her my bubble gum (business) card. If that should happen and she needs a listening ear, keep my card for that moment. I've already received an email from her.

2. Re: the very pretty woman who sat beside me in the airport as we awaited our flight to return to Tulsa. I asked her, since she was obviously attractive, if she ever encountered feeling insecure and inferior. I don't believe she had ever been asked such a thought. Her affirmative answer let me sow kingdom seed as to His "yes" world.

3. Re: the woman who later came along and sat beside me on the plane. After the small talk I found that this 50-ish year old had lost her husband to cancer last month. A very delightful lady she is. Upon asking her how she was coping, I told her where my office is and that if the burden becomes over-the-top that I am one who would be happy to encourage.

4: Re: the soldier that sat with me on the plane when Mary and I were traveling to Richmond in March. Upon learning that he was headed to Afghanistan while leaving behind a wife and three little boys, I inquired as to what church would help his family back here should they encounter struggles. He said they had none.

I gave him my card and told him that first they should find such a church. Too, that he is welcome to email me if anything should arise while he is gone. I would contact a church in Richmond to help.

Within the next month the soldier wrote me that he, his wife, and three boys were attending a local church.

We simply sow seed. We move beyond the small talk where we can. Usually the door opens when the topic is how we might offer encouragement.

1 comment:

Doug Page said...

Tell me more about the bubble gum card. Is it just bubble gum? Thanks for the reminder that our goal is to sow seed.