Saturday, April 30, 2011

LIVING SOMEONE ELSE'S SCRIPT FOR LIFE?

I am preparing for Pepperdine's Lectures which entail three classes on my new book, MVP!  It is really weird reading my own book.  I love the content so much that I find myself re-intrigued in the hope God clearly offers His fragile sheep.

I was reading a John Eldredge quote, I realized I was living a script written for me by someone else.  All my life I had been asking for the world to tell me what to do with myself.  This is different from seeking counsel or advice; what I wanted was freedom from responsibility and especially freedom from risk.  I wanted someone else to tell me who to be.

Thank God it didn't work.  The scripts they handed me I simply could not bring myself to play for very long.  Like Saul's armor, they never fit.  Can a world of posers tell you to do anything but pose yourself?  As Buechner says, we are in constant danger of being not actors in the drama of our lives but reactors, "to go where the world takes us, to drift with whatever current happens to be running to the strongest."

Do you know why I like this so much?  It was the truth about who I was.  I didn't go to a four-year college because I thought it was too hard and I was too inadequate.  I possess no degrees.  And what did God give me?  Hard work in ministry.  I didn't escape it!  Nor did I escape wandering around trying to be the successful people rather than be myself.

I urge you to stop the insanity.  Look at who you are.  Are you really you or are you somebody elses you?

It will take incredible guts to make the break.  From experience I can tell you that it is a marvel prison break.  Make plans to dig out tonight!

1 comment:

Stoogelover said...

Wish I could be there to hear your classes. I live out here and can no longer make it out to the lectureship due to having to work. Bummer. We did have good friends from Florida out for the pre-Pepperdine weekend visit. Lots of fun.