Tuesday, February 08, 2011

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO OFFER THE WORLD?

I once wondered why Memorial Drive existed.  It was running down and little seemed to work.  By His grace, He turned us around.  But it raises another question, what do we have (collectively or individually) to offer the world?

Without sounding superficial, may I offer that we are to be Jesus?  Get it clearly, I am a tragedy of a holy or righteous person unless He fills me.  So holy smugness isn't a part of this conversation.  We are to be Jesus to all around us.

What would this mean?

Well...when I walk into any business I assume I am approaching a cashier or clerk who needs to sense I respect them and believe they are valuable.  Whether shopping in a store or eating at a restaurant, I wonder about all of the people near me....where are they hurting?  What is it that separates them from God?  What do they need in order to be encouraged?

In all of my wondering about others, I must admit I leave not knowing hardly anything at all....but my eyes see them.  I notice them.  I study them.

What do we have to offer the world?  Interest.  The attention of God through Jesus through us.  We don't have to walk on water or heal lepers.  We possess something more....resurrection power.  We cause people who are dying in spirit to come alive by our voices that call the "dead Lazaruses" in them to awaken to the life within. 

I urge you...don't go through life thinking you are a mere meaningless and average useless nothing.  You are remarkable.  Pour Jesus from your vessel onto those nearest.  All efforts count.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So simple it just might work!

Jay