Friday, December 03, 2010

WEDDINGS SO AWESOME!

In 36 years of ministry I have done 127 weddings.  Other than my three kids, two stand out with special note.

A few years ago a homeless couple stopped in.  They wanted to get married, needed a minister, and wanted to know if I could do their wedding for $10.  I told them I could....but I could only do it for $40.  They looked naturally saddened.  I expected such a reaction.  And then I said, I can't do your wedding if you pay me $10....but I can do your wedding if I pay you $40.  Their smiles were priceless!

Today I did a small wedding for a couple of similar circumstances; but not quite that drastic.  They were of extremely humble means.  Her mother and his father came as witnesses.  It was a special meeting in my office.

I cheered them on with simple words of encouragement from God's word and from my heart.  At the conclusion I gave them a $20 bill for letting me do their wedding.  They could hardly believe it.  The life in their eyes made it worth it. 

I don't usually pay the couples to let me marry them.  But the ones I have are two of my favorites!

No comments: