Saturday, November 27, 2010

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO BE A PREACHER?

To begin, the above title is far too skimpy.  The truer title needs to be, Why Would Anyone Want to be a Preacher or a Youth Minister or an Outreach Minister or a Children's Minister or an Involvement Minister or a Missionary; Full-Time or Part-Time?....But I felt the Title Bar wouldn't hold so many words!

The fundamental question is why would anyone subject themselves to full-time or part-time roles in the church.  The answer is simple; it's the greatest, most exciting, most challenging work on earth!  That's why!

I passed through our huge complex of a snaggled building early this morning to check on progress of the Christmas decor of the auditorium.  I love December, Christmas, and our team that decorates our place.

As I was meandering along I had that surge of gratitude strike once again of "I actually get to be here and do this."  I live a dream which has come super-true. 

Upon reflection I realized a part of this walk which may need to serve as a reminder for some.  I regretfully wonder how many don't get to live their super-true dreams because they gave up far too soon.  There is something to be said about the value of challenge and endurance.

Therefore for any who are about to toss in the towel after wiping your hands of one frustration after another, I tell you two things:
  1. I don't blame you.  This isn't easy.  Yet it is the Enemy who targets us for quitability.
  2. Don't give up.  I will testify that I spent far too many days not knowing up from down....but each was important to break me of me. 
  3. (I know I said two things, but it's my blog and I've changed my mind.)  In case you wonder what it is like in my shoes, here is the bottom line; I am the most nothing anyone could possibly be.
What does this say to you?
  1. God can and will use anyone who is willing to try and fail and try some more.
  2. Working in and with the church is a dream job.
  3. Don't give up.  God does some of His most fantastic work when the armies and mountains have us cornered and the sea has us blocked in.
Are you thinking of becoming a full-time or part-time employee of the church?  Think again....and again and again.  And then...........DO IT!  You'll never hurt so much over a work so wonderful for a fruit so eternal.

Why would anyone want to be a preacher?  Well, I think it would be because some covet the over-joy of being crazy about life!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the last profession I thought I would EVER be in! I cannot emphasize the word "ever" any more than capitalize the word. However, it was prophesied that I would become one on the night of my baptism, at a super young age of 10 (now 36).

I was planning on being an Athletic Trainer. I pursued this goal from my freshman year of high school through my graduation at the university, to two years of working as an assistant trainer.

As I decided to pursue ministry, which I was very scared to pursue, I really cannot think of doing anything differently than ministry. Even if you took me out of ministry, I cannot have ministry taken out of me.

I do believe it was meant for me - the highs and lows. I have not had any part of an easy road when it comes to ministry.

Ministry is not for the thin-skinned, but you will not know that till you get into it.

Ministry is for the "big hearted". To have an equal big heart for the lost, the complainers, the annoyers, the supporters, the spiritually-dead-who-don't-know-it, the spiritual superpeople, and a whole other list of people.

Also, one other important lesson I've learned...the "bigs" in our profession are truly "smalls". I had the chance to be in the spot of a "big" preacher and it was a fun, humbling experience.

I love ministry!

Jeremy Schopper said...

Someone once told me that you should only preach if you can't do anything else. That's me. I have tried and tried to not be a minister. I've failed every time. It's a tough, challenging, trying job but I absolutely love. I wouldn't do anything else - even if I could.