Monday, November 15, 2010

THE PARABLE OF OLD MR. BAT

Twenty years ago I happened upon a flea market treasure that called my name.  It was a very old baseball bat that seemed to have the aura of heroics plus sentiment.  Who could deny its $7 price tag as it was tucked upon the table with other "valuable stuff" just waiting---as in a puppy shelter---to be picked by a new owner.

Well....I gladly volunteered and took the keepsake home.

I felt sure that Old Mr. Bat had great value.  Even with its crack durably taped and its proud nicks and dings, I thought I had found the $7 bargain that evidently all other shoppers didn't see.  Hurray me....I was secure in my delight.

I sent pictures, measurements, and descriptions off to two viable appraisers in Chicago and Dallas.  They both were quick to offer their professional opinions; worthless.  But I loved and believed in my find. 

I moved the bat from one side of the garage to another for two decades.  In June I contacted experts in Pennsylvania with pictures, etc.  They were quick to agree with the first two estimates; but said I could send it on for detailed lab evaluation.  So I packed Old Mr. Bat and sent him out East.

No word.

In October I contacted the appraisers to tell them I never heard back from their evaluation.  Did we not tell you??!!!????!!  We were able to detect cleat and baseball stitch marks embedded into the barrel as well as date the tape...and of course the bat logo.  It is a Major League game-used bat by a Hall of Famer; Travis Jackson about 1929.  The estimated worth is between $1500 and $2500 dollars!  Our minimum bid---because it IS an auction---is $500.

Saturday Old Mr. Bat sold for $650.

So here's what we learn.  People are like Old Mr. Bat; dinged, cracked, taped, and marred.  Some are considered by multiple--dare we say professional?--estimates as worthless.  Refuse to believe it!  God has already declared them valuable and placed His bid from the cross!

4 comments:

Brian's Bibilcial Minute said...

WOW! Chilling and inspiring! Great conclusion to a suspenseful story of Mr. Bat! Thanks for sharing, Terry!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I was ready for there to be no large, surprise value at the end of the story, but just the fact that God is sure of our value as we lay on the heap amongst the rest of the world. He is the one Appraiser whose opinion and evaluation matters!

Jay

Dusty Rush said...

I'll be sending you my new and improved Christmas wish list soon!

Wendy said...

Christmas is back on!