Well, it isn't because of scatter-brained irresponsibility. It is an effort to be faithful; a sincere effort at that. The opposite, I believe, is true. Some deem the theme of the Holy Spirit to be an irresponsible hog-wash movement among us. But such a stance is biblically wrong and only a dishonest view will support this continued errant stance of no Holy Spirit activity among us.
The question is, "Why?" Why is this hiding from the delightful facet of God continuing? I share possible reasons simply because I once stood in such shoes.
- We have been groomed to approach the kingdom of God from a fleshly mind. We believe our explanations trump His mysteries.
- Due to living by law instead of the Spirit, we live in constant fear. We fear we will get it wrong. We fear what others in our herd will think if we dare even study to see if the Bible supports this Spirit concept.
- Our minds have been killed. The law kills. The Spirit gives life. This is scripturally plain. Unknowingly some minds have been arrested by the law and have died in the pews of unlearning.
- Satan has tripped up the church by misleading other religious groups to abuse Holy Spirit accuracy. Thus, we stay as far away from the topic as possible. This is precisely why many will not attend any church because Satan has pointed out extreme abuse in some form which caused disbelief; his trademark.
- Finally, some refuse to acknowledge the existence and activity of the Holy Spirit of God from sheer dishonesty. They have not and will not study the Word. Coasting on what has been parroted over decades is enough for them. If brother Ansel believed it....it is good enough for them.