Saturday, March 13, 2010

BREATHE LIFE INTO A FATIGUED HEART

Yes, we (okay, "are" should go right here...but I was "busy" and missed it) all busy. We are up to our eyeballs in busy. Our world is dizzy with calendarific appointments. And what person among you isn't short on hours for any week? We must work with care to operate at a pace in stride with God's opportunities. Otherwise, our own steam will soon evaporate and we will pull over to the side of the road to rust.

I love this work!

I just sent a note off to an elder inquiring about a young preacher as to the potential of being a possible fit with their congregation. I'm happy to do it.

Every week I gladly talk with young preachers around the nation and on foreign sites. I feel compelled to give them priority every where I can. And, I have good reason.

I received the same as a young man (and still do). I had men who were busier than me stop what they were doing to share nuggets of kingdom gold. Philip Yancey, Marvin Phillips, Max Lucado, and others have been nothing but encouraging to one who knew too little to be in this position.

When our family hit a tragedy, I called my friend Chuck Swindoll. He was in a board meeting and the receptionist properly declined my call. But when I told her who I was, she already knew from Chuck what was going on. She put me on hold and got him out of their meeting so we could talk. I haven't forgotten his courtesy. Just yesteday I received a two page letter from him advising me on important matters of kingdom life.

So when I learn of one of our soldiers wounded or killed (in spirit) in the line of fire, I am an ambulance driver. Nothing is more valuable to a preacher than the severe pain of hurt. But we all desperately need those who have been trained on the battlefields to stand with us while we bleed.

Jesus did it. He bled. He suffered. He died....and arose. Those like me who are back from the dead can only find it a privilege to cheer the young crop of proclaimers on! And....when I find one who's been charred by the fire, I know I'm dealing with one of God's real men!

I feel committed to these guys for busier than me found time/made time to reach back and breathe new life into a fatigued heart.

(Hmmm....calendarific didn't pass spellcheck. What's up with that?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Hmmm....calendarific didn't pass spellcheck. What's up with that?)

What about "we all busy"?

Great article though.

Anonymous said...

I hope I didn't offend you, and thought it was a little funny. You proved your own point.

Thank you again for your good article.