Monday, January 11, 2010

McGWIRE ADMITS STEROID USE

Mark McGwire came out with a statement today admitting he used steroids during his playing days. Up to this point, he had denied it. I'm glad he reached a point he could come clean. I wish he could have done so years ago.

Mark is special to me. We've worked together briefly on a project via phone and email. I email him about twice year and he responds about once every two years. When the Cardinals announced hiring him as the new batting coach, I shot off a congratulatory note. He responded favorably and immediately.

Knowing he would be entering Spring Training with the team in a few weeks and knowing, too, the media would crucify him, I sent him a lengthy email Saturday urging him to have the confidence and courage to say anything he needed regarding his past that he be able to start life over. I risked in sending it for I surely hoped it did not hit him wrong. But....I really felt the urge to let him know he is loved because he is a good man....not because he hit baseballs far.

Ironically, six of us prayed for an hour yesterday morning beginning at 7:30. In that span we included McGwire; seeking God's love and direction for him.

When I saw this afternoon's news regarding Mark's statement, I could not help but wonder when he made this decision? I'm not meaning he made it due to my note. I assume he's had this in the works for maybe a month or so. But what I'm elated about is the timing of my note. For in it I told him I had been praying for him. Could it be that he needed the support such a letter offered...at just the right time...and he noticed God had provided?

Here's what I know about celebrities and fans. Celebrities are normal people who need understanding just as much as the fans. Fans tend to think because they are celebrities, they have no troubles, no concerns, no flaws. Both are alike....and mercy is appropriate for both.

2 comments:

msh group said...

thanks

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the post. I am thankful that you have some connections with "famous" people. I am glad you can be there for them.

I am using Mark and Tiger as examples in a paper article I am writing to point out that though we have role models that we look up to, they are human. However, one human is and always will be a perfect hero...Jesus. Comes out the 22nd of January.