Wednesday, September 16, 2009

WHAT I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND IN MY EARLIER YEARS

I've been preaching for three and half decades. There were a few things I feel certain I was told, but I simply couldn't grasp. Other matters I believe were not conveyed. The latter simply are destined to show up in the maturing processes. I toss a few your way to encourage you by way of reminder or by way of introductory possibility.

1. PRAISE OF GOD IS ESSENTIAL. I was funnel-visionly focused upon church function as well as organization. Praising God was not remotely a part of my life. I attended church and preached at such attendance, but my emphasis was singularly upon getting church done right rather than letting God get me/us right through His righteousness....which would call for my praise of Him.

2. JESUS IS ALL. My earlier years were dominated by correct doctrine. Ironically, very little of that doctrine included the activational presence of Jesus....which would, then, make my doctrine full of error. Jesus was a subsidiary of Church. Church was first. Church was right. Church was in front. I didn't ask people if they knew Jesus. I asked them what church they attended. Jesus is to be Supreme in all of our efforts.

3. CATCH GOD'S PEOPLE DOING THINGS RIGHT. I was thoroughly converted to the critical side of church life. We were deeply trained in school to give right answers. Right answers meant something inevitable; I would soon flush out all those on the wide path who didn't know beans about anything of God. But I've learned God has very much amazing going on in many, many, many good people. I now love to send my elders notes repeating what I overheard said about them....that was terrific. Instead of castigating the congregation for its lack in an area, I've learned to point out repeatedly where I have seen them functioning very well in the Spirit. This builds a contagion that enhances eager and continual performance in His vineyard.

4. BELIEVE EVERY MEMBER (YOUNG AND OLD) IS VITAL TO THE FLOCK'S HEALTH. I was a selective minister at first. I could only see the obvious. I had no faith eyes to believe what wasn't there could one day become. Romans 4:17 changed my ministry. God can cause dead things to live and He can create something out of nothing. Now if I feel I am nothing or dead and if I feel an elder is or a team member is or a congregation is, I take God at His Word. He can breathe life into skeletal situations....and it happens! What a difference. Since that discovery the grass has always been greener wherever I happen to be standing!

No comments: