Thursday, September 03, 2009

A PERSONAL SEMINAR

I went to one of my favorite seminars yesterday and today. It was neither Catalyst nor a Steven Covey spectacular. It was better; just heart to heart counsel with my good friend Rick Atchley. I love this man. He is good to and for me. When I recently inquired as to whether he would have time to "talk shop", he immediately invited me to stay in his home.

My spirit wasn't dry so I wasn't looking for a pick-me-up. I am hungry to maintain energy for this work so I was curious as to Rick's approach to ministry. We volleyed questions and responses as if we were doing research for a test. A thing I like about Rick is he speaks the kingdom language in a way I get it. He is dead-on serious about extending the love of Christ to a hurting generation.

His love for Jesus and the Bible is pure, selfless, and strong. He's been put through the fire; yet, has zero interest in retaliation or bitterness. He moves about as Nehemiah when building the wall.

Chris Seidman entered the scene this morning on the golf course. These two are best friends and it was sheer delight to listen to their hearts.

It is very fun to fellowship with men who make the great commission of Christ their business. I want to get better at it. I'll always be in kindergarten; Rick and Chris helped me so much because they too are effective learners.

I'm a lucky man. I've been to a seminar.....and I didn't even need a badge; the speaker recognized me right off. And....we ate ice cream after 9:30 and stayed up 'til 10:40! Yippee!

1 comment:

Vasca said...

My Friend, I love you for so many reasons...one of the biggies is the fact that you never, ever give up or back away. You keep on keeping on...always trying your best for HIM to 'get it better'...you inspire me to do the same...thanks ever so much for your natural evangelistic heart. You're a keeper!!!