Friday, September 18, 2009

THE CHURCH CAN'T AFFORD TO BE ALL THUMBS

I'm still learning the most fundamental things about kingdom life. Without realizing it, I began my ministry with such a cookie-cutter mentality. Everything was to function within my boundaries according to my views. It would be important to know that I was certain all of my views were the right views.

A high hurdle to jump has been that of "different". Different originally, to me, meant error and I was a super-duper error detector. I was quick. And...whenever I flushed error out, I was scalding in my address of it. I was a professional error eradicator.

However, much of what I labeled (conservative or liberal) was not as I claimed. It was simply different. People who raised their hands in worship weren't showing off as I claimed. They were worshipping differently than my acquired taste. Those who used mics to sing as a group were not there for entertainment as I boasted. No, they were worshipping differently.

It is way too easy for us to label others from our ostrich-icity of assumed correctness. When one reads the back end of the first Corinthian letter it is loaded with a call to the differentialities among us. We are not alike. We shouldn't want to be. Thumbs don't look like ears, don't move like ears, and don't function like ears. Different is the body's blessing. Shame on us for labeling it a curse.

Congregations can be conservative and others can be liberal in their methods...and both will impact their communities. We are His!

So I cheer you on that various tastes do not mean a disconnect (or disfellowship) is in order. It signals just the opposite. It is an opportunity for discovered, appreciated harmony. Unity isn't ours if we finally think and act alike.

Unity is ours when we pool our differences together in the name of the only Savior....Jesus. We are his body....we are not all thumbs.

5 comments:

Stoogelover said...

Just imagine what insights you'll have after another 30+ years of ministry!! I love reading your blog each day ... don't always comment, but I do always drop by. I regret not taking more advantage of our friendship when I was in ministry. I think you would have been a great encourager to me at times.

Terry Rush said...

Greg,

You were a great friend and minister while you were in the pulpit. You remain a great friend and minister in the new work you now do.

Always a highlight to hear from you.

Nellie said...

Keep on bringin' it! I keep "sending" folks to read your blog, and they always thank me for it. :)

Steven Hudgins said...

Interesting how the Spirit leads us to write. My blog today expresses the words and actions of this past week. This week we read or hear in the local news of an action of Mr. Wilson, Mr. West and President Obama, and it is easy to jump into something in which we fear or have no understanding and sometimes an attitude of no change. What great examples we can use within the church.

Sometimes there are appropriate times in which to present the truth as long as it is truth and not opinions. Sometimes we want to take the spotlight and point out the obvious, but in reality, Jesus is the only spotlight within the church. Sometimes we say things thinking they are, off the record, and label those who we feel to need to be labeled.

God is working this week, and I see it through your words Terry. I agree, we are not all thumbs, but it is good to know we are in His hands. This is where love comes into play, patience for our ears and a slow speech through wisdom in allowing the Spirit to work in His kingdom (James 1:19).

Freeman said...

Thank you for this post. It takes awhile for us to see the beauty and unity of Christ's Church with all of its diversity. It took me many years to see how great it is that we are all different.