Thursday, August 13, 2009

HOW TO HANDLE THE PITS

Stress sure is stressful! And, it surely does try to stick to us like a massive spider web. Who doesn't know about the frustrations and agonies of living in the pits?

I once lived as a professional pit person. I took up living quarters in this abusive compartment house and seemed to have even rented extra rooms at times. But God helped me break the depressing pattern. I share some ideas which possibly would fit your complexities. These helped me...no...transformed me:
  1. I saw Joseph in a pit once. Joseph could not have imagined at that moment the Lord meant that for good. Later he saw it. Later he relished in God's marvel. I've developed an assurance that if not now then later God will turn my stress into good.
  2. I know God disciplines me. At one segment of my life, I didn't know that. Now I do. When things won't go my way I eventually discover God is coming my way. He won't let me get my way because I, one more time, need to grow up. Stress is always a disciplinary opportunity to extend our faith-roots deeper for while we cannot see how this could be a good thing, we develop a trust in God that He is dependable.
  3. I keep learning to wait....with a smile in my heart. The pits were once a roaring lion in the attic of my mind. I wasn't happy with the church, I didn't like many of the decisions, and I was disappointed in me. But, I've learned to wait. I've learned to wait and then run with the eagles as Isaiah wrote.

Stress is very stressful. Here's how we handle the pits. We count them our blessings....at that moment they begin to work for us instead of against us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep

Anonymous said...

Good post - I need to be reminded of this from time to time.

Tammy said...

Ignoring the pits won't work either, I've found. But staring them down with God's love (and a smile, as you said:) transforms them into stepping stone...from glory to glory. Thank you for all you do!

Anonymous said...

How do we help someone else get out of the pits? And, especially when they don't realize they're in them (i.e., all of their problems are other people's fault, not their own issues to deal with, etc.?

Help!

Jay