Saturday, July 18, 2009

A WORSHIP ASSEMBLY IMPROVEMENT

We are getting better with the worship assembly, do you think? Since being converted, there's much I have grown to both respect and enjoy. Really when God and His people are involved, there should be a great experience on the horizon. Truthfully, many of our meeting times are not inspiring. They do not reflect joy and life; but rather dread and boredom. A church-checklist mentality bears the latter.

A few of the things which I find as improvement are the uses of tech/power point, songs on the large screen causing faces to lift up out of the books, and continued authenticity from those who present messages whether communion or sermon or prayer.

But the one shift which I think enhances the worship assembly is the song leader's ability to lead three and four songs back to back to back to back without stopping to comment or call out the next song. This has allowed hearts to get lost in the glory of God via the mind without human interruption of directional change.

The praise teams are a plus. The new songs are a plus for many. But the succession of song after song without human interruption, whether praise team or solo leader, has transformed the hearts of our worshippers.....my opinion of course.

I like a cappella. I prefer acappella. (But I don't know how to spell acapella for sure.) But I think we drain it of its beauty by the song leader interjecting unnecessary remarks. He then shifts from leader to interferer. I like the new trend...more songs and less talk. Memorial has one of the best in Shane Coffman. I am a blessed man to work with such a humble and talented leader of meaningful worship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to all of the above.

Keith L.

Terry Laudett said...

My spellcheck can't spell a capella either, so I don't feel too bad.

Anonymous said...

I like what Jack Boyd says. His goal as song leader is to become invisible.