Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I'M A NEW UNCLE IN THE STRANGEST WAY

While in Portland a couple of weeks ago I learned that Billy Curl of the Crenshaw Church of Christ in Los Angeles had recently baptized Curt Flood's daughter, Shelly. Curt, you may remember, was my childhood hero having starred with the Cardinals and eventual dear brother.

I spoke with Shelly earlier today where she lives in LA. What an immediate delight. She talks with the same grace as her daddy. There was no hesitancy on her part; we launched into immediate reminiscence as I had spoken at both her grandmother's and her father's funerals. However, we had never had occasion to visit personally.

During our conversation I reference her grandmother's love for me to the extent she adopted me as her only white boy. When I came along she moved her first six children's pictures from her nightstand across the room to her bureau. She then kept my picture alone on the night stand. When I eventually traveled to Oakland to meet my adoptive mother the house tour revealed Curt's description as accurate. When she died my new black sister, Barbara, called asking me to come.

In the middle of my lengthy discussion with Shelly she interrupted with a shout, So....you are my uncle Terry?!? Well....yes I am!

Congratulations to me! I've been adopted a second time into the Flood family.

1 comment:

Terry Laudett said...

That brought a smile to my face. Congratulations!